Canon EOS-5 problems...

TheBigYin

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No
:shrug:I knew it couldn't last - picked up a EOS-5 body a month or so ago, came with the standard problems - sticking down flash and a spinning command dial - both easily fixed with the help of the instructions on the EOS Documentation project. Since then I've run maybe half a dozen films through it (on a brand new battery) and it's worked pretty much spot on. This afternoon I switched it on to be greeted by a "beeeeeeep" noise and a flashing empty battery symbol. Thinking i'd left the camera switched on, I assumed i'd flattened the 2CR5 and, after :dummy:swearing profusely at my idiocy:bonk:, opened a new battery and fitted it. This did exactly the same. I checked the original battery and the new one with a multimeter (6.0v and 6.2v respectively) both being within specification.

After a bit of research, I've found that the flashing empty battery symbol is a bit like the ERR99 in the modern digital EOS's - as in "theres something wrong, but i'm not telling you what - go see a Canon Dealer and sign over your first born son to us and we'll fix it" Obviously, this isn't going to be economically viable on a £30 camera, :help: so I wondered if anyone on here had any advice that could get me back up and running ? (other than buying something clockwork/with a nikon badge/sundry other non-helpful comments ;))

I've had the battery out of the camera since this afternoon - hopefully it'll discharge and lose the settings which caused the error. I also gave the contacts a thorough clean - both the body and the lens (though it gives the error even if there's no lens attached, so I don't think it's anything to do with that) before removing the battery, to no avail.

Anyway - over to you :help::help::help: please :)

(and if worst comes to the worst, i'll just fleabay another, and keep this one for spares etc!):bang:

Bad luck mate.

Luckly you pick another EOS film body up nice and cheap.

...or if you want somthing special go for an EOS 3, one of the best film bodies Canon ever made. Will set you back £100 though. They have the metering off the 1D models I think.

3489319399_22a2de5609.jpg

hmmmm.... you know you want one!

does the eos 3 have a pop up flash, i dont think so, answear to your question if its only a £30 camera go get another

I'm confused -the EOS 3 doesn't have a pop up flash? :thinking:

I can't say I've experienced any of the problems you're having, but I run mine off AA batteries in the battery grip. It makes it a heavy beast but I quite like that.

I do seem to recall people having similar problems which have been cured by adding the battery grip and AA batteries. I can't be any any more help - sorry.

The EOS 3 is a fantastic camera - I'd never part with mine. :love:

I've a mate who's got a pair of those bodies, used to use them when he was ships photographer on cruise liners back in the day (probably why he's not a pro. 'togger anymore - some of the stories he's told would have put anyone off!) He's said before I can borrow one whenever I want - couldn't understand why i'd actually bought one of my own to be honest, but it's just not the same, is it?

I'd really like to get this one running though, if at all possible :shrug:

I'm confused -the EOS 3 doesn't have a pop up flash? :thinking:

I can't say I've experienced any of the problems you're having, but I run mine off AA batteries in the battery grip. It makes it a heavy beast but I quite like that.

I do seem to recall people having similar problems which have been cured by adding the batter grip and AA batteries. I can't be any any more help - sorry.

The EOS 3 is a fantastic camera - I'd never part with mine. :love:

Think the ill one is an EOS 30, not a 3.

Actually, the poorly one is a EOS-5 (and i'm a complete plum!)

I'd been browsing ebay for a potential replacement - and as Gaz81 had noticed - i'd been struck with upgrade-itis... :LOL:

I've had the battery out of the camera since this afternoon - hopefully it'll discharge and lose the settings which caused the error.

Mayu not work as most cameras have a built in battery somewhere, that retains all the functionly information, and you'll be waiting a long time for that to discharge :cautious:

Time for an upgrade me thinks.

How about a EOS1?
Built like a tank, can go 10 frames per second, 100% view finder (y)

Actually, the poorly one is a EOS-5 (and i'm a complete plum!)

I'd been browsing ebay for a potential replacement - and as Gaz81 had noticed - i'd been struck with upgrade-itis... :LOL:

Ah... mystery solved, although you'd have been doing well to get an EOS3 for 30 quid! :D

The world's your mollusc as far as film cameras are concerned nowadays - lots of great kit about for daft money. ;)

Ah... mystery solved, although you'd have been doing well to get an EOS3 for 30 quid! :D

The world's your mollusc as far as film cameras are concerned nowadays - lots of great kit about for daft money. ;)

I'd spent most of the evening trawling through ebay looking for replacements and i'd got EOS-3 in my head - couldn't find anything for the £100 that Gaz81 quoted mind... Think i'd have their arm off at that price!

Anyone got any leads to alternative sources rather than "the bay" for a nice used Eos-3? :LOL:

I'd spent most of the evening trawling through ebay looking for replacements and i'd got EOS-3 in my head - couldn't find anything for the £100 that Gaz81 quoted mind... Think i'd have their arm off at that price!

I think I paid about 160 quid for mine, and it's a minter. They do hold their price, but they're a superbly spec'd camera for daft money really. I think they were about a grand back in the day.

Ffordes usually have a few in stock and I find you can rely on their descriptions for overall condition.

I think I paid about 160 quid for mine, and it's a minter. They do hold their price, but they're a superbly spec'd camera for daft money really. I think they were about a grand back in the day.

Ffordes usually have a few in stock and I find you can rely on their descriptions for overall condition.

I'd had a look there - think they're pretty much what you paid 150-170 depending on condition. Bit more than I really wanted to pay really.:(

Stick an ad in the 'Wanted' section here. I've seen 'em go for £100- £125 on the board. You never know. ;)

Stick an ad in the 'Wanted' section here. I've seen 'em go for £100- £125 on the board. You never know. ;)

May as well, if one comes up for £100 i'll be in there. I'd still like to get the EOS-5 working though, so if anyone has any helpful suggestions???

My eos 50 has a similar problem actually

Mid shooting the shutter will get stuck and the battery symbol flash (not a batt problem as im using a grip)

Only way to fix it was to turn the camera on/off and that would waste a shot

sid

Back