Canon FD 35mm f2 SSC

Name
Bill
Edit My Images
No
why is this Canon FD manual focus lens being sold for quite a high price ............ £300 upwards - some at £600? ....... most from Japan

anyone using it on their Digital bodies?

Last edited:
35mm Yashica primes are just as bad....

Looks like I'm sticking with 28mm instead. And I've been looking for a 35mm for a while.

Not many years ago no one wanted these old manual focus lenses, not sure quite how well they stack up against a 30-40mp full frame sensor, anyone tried??

D

£895 - that's asking a bit "much"

I thought all this model were concaved - but breach-locked were nice - much prettier to look at!!

(I'm sure I've still got mine, somewhere!!)

Last edited:
Not many years ago no one wanted these old manual focus lenses, not sure quite how well they stack up against a 30-40mp full frame sensor, anyone tried??

D

My Yashica ML range was perfectly acceptable on the A7. I've not used any on the A7Riii since getting that.

I have one that I use mostly on Sony A7-series bodies and occasionally on film.

I have owned mine for about 15 years. I certainly didn't pay £600 for it! It's earned its keep - I have made sales of photos with this lens that have earned my investment back several times over.

It's a nice lens, sharp enough with pleasant rendering and no complex distortion. Solidly-constructed with a breech lock mount like all the earlier FDs.

The thing that often gets people excited is the Thorium-doped glass on the concave-front element version, which is mildly radioactive. There's novelty value in that, but also over the 50+ years, due to the radioactivity, the glass takes on a distinct yellow tint.

This makes it fabulous for shooting with black and white film (the main reason I bought mine) as you effectively have a built-in yellow filter without the nuisance of a filter.

For digital use, it can be corrected well enough with a simple white balance adjustment, although I probably wouldn't use it like this for colour-critical work.

If you really don't like yellow glass in your lenses, leave the lens in strong sunlight for a few days and allegedly the UV knocks some subatomic particles back into place and make it clear again.

Some examples, with hundreds more here if you are interested.

Rose Morris by Rob Telford, on Flickr

Sandown Pier by Rob Telford, on Flickr

Flutes by Rob Telford, on Flickr

Jon Auer by Rob Telford, on Flickr

Last edited:
The thing that often gets people excited is the Thorium-doped glass on the concave-front element version, which is mildly radioactive. There's novelty value in that, but also over the 50+ years, due to the radioactivity, the glass takes on a distinct yellow tint.

Thanks Rob for some great info - I found mine and I must admit since I got it out and inspected it I have a headache coming on:)

I have the newer FD lenses rather than the breech lock ones but I do have a breech lock 50mm f1.8. I bought it mainly for the build rather than any optical quality.

I can see the appeal in these very well built older lenses but I don't think I'll be paying the prices that 35mm goes for. Good luck though to those who will.

I have the newer FD lenses rather than the breech lock ones but I do have a breech lock 50mm f1.8. I bought it mainly for the build rather than any optical quality.

I can see the appeal in these very well built older lenses but I don't think I'll be paying the prices that 35mm goes for. Good luck though to those who will.

Most Canon FD lenses are very reasonably priced - this one seems to be an exception for some reason or another - I'd like to try mine on the Zf but I just need to get an adapter, just cannot decide which!

Most Canon FD lenses are very reasonably priced - this one seems to be an exception for some reason or another

If you want an FD 35mm the concave front-element SSC is the sharpest you can buy and at f/2 it's as fast as any that Canon ever made for a manual focus SLR.

As @Mr Perceptive mentioned earlier, video and cinema guys have discovered FD lenses in recent years and they have very deep pockets compared to stills photographers.

If you want an FD 35mm the concave front-element SSC is the sharpest you can buy and at f/2 it's as fast as any that Canon ever made for a manual focus SLR.

As @Mr Perceptive mentioned earlier, video and cinema guys have discovered FD lenses in recent years and they have very deep pockets compared to stills photographers.

Funny if FD's are getting more attention than other makes. No offence to FD fans but I've always viewed them as also rans, competent enough but not the best for optical quality, build or appeal. Just my VHO.

The seller linked above is now offering a discount. Still a pretty high price though.

Last edited:
Found mine - really good condition - been stored in the dark, etc., etc. any video and cinema guys around?

the breech lock is attractive cosmetically - it's an extremely well made lens

Last edited:
Back