Canonet QL17

Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
HAs anyone had any expericance with the Canon Canonet QL17?

I'll looking at getting one and want some opinions!

Cheers,

Gary

http://www.cameraquest.com/canql17.htm

I used my dad Canon Canonet (an earlier version made about 1962) and it was great, built in meter, bright range finder, Shutter Priority, max ASA 200.
Not used it in ages as the Auto function was not working, but in manual it was ok.

Was my first camera.(Well technically my first camera was a Voightlander minox copy but that was faulty so I swapped it for a 2nd hand ql17) Was a great camera. Usually regarded as one of the best fixed lens 35mm rangefinders and often gets called the poor man's leica :) Great lens, viewfinder is large, bright and hasthat nifty parallax correction, metering was good, focusing was easy and accurate but not very quick, build quality good.

I sold mine for very little as I hadn't used it for a long time. The guy who bought it was a mountaineering photographer. I heard from him later that the Canonet had become his favoirate high altitude camera over his manual Nikon SLR and leica rangefinder. Not to say it is better than those but the mix of features and size suited him better and despite being used to those top quality pro cameras he found the lens and metering of the canonet good enough for his work.

There are some issues. The light seal around the rear door was foam which breaks down with age and goes sticky. This can be replaced - you can buy kits to do it yourself. Also do some research on the batteries. They were originally mercury ones which are no longer available and the non mercury modern ones have a different voltage. I think this can upset the metering. Although it will wotrk without a battary if you set it manually.

HAs anyone had any expericance with the Canon Canonet QL17?

I'll looking at getting one and want some opinions!

Cheers,

Gary
I have got one the lens is good quality i had to get the light trap changed a little while back as the foam had perished

They were great cameras I sold lots of them ... the only better one at about that time was the Olympus SP

The problem with all cameras of that age are that they used Mercury cells so you have to get the wein cell equivalent.
And the light trap rubber will need replacing.

The XA is a great little camera! I have an XA2 at the moment as the lens is a bit sharper but no rangefinder and fully programmed shutter.

It's one of the best 35mm compact rangefinder cameras, altough the G-III version is getting more expensive everyday.
You may also want to take a look at some Olympus models, like the RC, RD and SP.
Yashica also made some of the best models in this category

Back