Cleaning prints

Name
Adrian
Edit My Images
Yes
What do you find is the best solution for cleaning finger prints off prints? Or do you just use a soft cloth?

ScreenHunter_02%20May.%2031%2009.49.jpg
+
Dettol%20-%20Liquid%20(250ml).jpg
gets finger prints off. ;)

If I need to handle a large number of prints I wear a pair of white cotton gloves.

I have some cotton gloves but theres always an errant finger print!!

It's probably important to know what kind of photos they are, i.e. ink jet prints, dry, wet lab etc. If it's ink jet then I'd assume that using any kind of liquid cleaner will mess up the photo but that's just a guess.

Dye sub prints put a gloss coating on the prints so you could probably use a mild cleaner and this may be the same for digital prints that are non-wet lab. I don't know enough about wet lab to comment.

If using liquid cleaner I'd recommend putting it on the cloth first rather than directly on this print no matter what type of photo it is.

Perhaps you can get some test prints done using the same printing process and experiment before trying it on the real photo? :)

PS. Don't use wirebrush and dettol btw.

It's probably important to know what kind of photos they are, i.e. ink jet prints, dry, wet lab etc. If it's ink jet then I'd assume that using any kind of liquid cleaner will mess up the photo but that's just a guess.

Dye sub prints put a gloss coating on the prints so you could probably use a mild cleaner and this may be the same for digital prints that are non-wet lab. I don't know enough about wet lab to comment.

If using liquid cleaner I'd recommend putting it on the cloth first rather than directly on this print no matter what type of photo it is.

Perhaps you can get some test prints done using the same printing process and experiment before trying it on the real photo? :)

PS. Don't use wirebrush and dettol btw.
Wet lab. Had pressumed the wire brush suggestion may be slightly too harsh. Just tried a bit of furniture polish on a cloth but the cloth put light scratches on the image (test one). Thought there may have been a specific cleaning type solution.

If I had to do this I would try a shammy leather or micro cloth, slightly damp. Give a corner of the print a light wipe once, let it dry and then look at the result. Do not wipe a second time while damp because that would be when the damage would occur.
No chemicals or furniture polish.
A little drop of diluted fairy liquid in the water may help. I used this years ago as a wetting agent when washing off prints to help drying.

Last edited:
never tried it but i was told womans tights are the job

The thin cotton gloves worked a treat in keeping them clean. Mounted and trimmed up 10 and all still clean!

Not sure if the tights suggestion is a wind up...................

no wind up,tights i was told by a woman at my local framing shop

I used to use tights to polish candles.
It could work on prints, just don't push too hard I suppose.

Back