Cloning

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
Yes
Apologies if this has already been covered.

Usually when I build a new computer I start from fresh with the OS and programs as well, but on this occasion I want to clone the old SSD onto a new M.2 and pop the M.2 into the new build. Is this going to cause issues due to the hardware changes, or is my current Windows 10 on this particular computer smart enough to work it all out?

Cheers

Usually when I build a new computer I start from fresh with the OS and programs as well, but on this occasion I want to clone the old SSD onto a new M.2 and pop the M.2 into the new build. Is this going to cause issues due to the hardware changes, or is my current Windows 10 on this particular computer smart enough to work it all out?

Cheers
I used ease us to clone my sata SSD to the strip one, without issues. New chip and mb.

Cheers
It *might* work but it's a really really bad idea to be honest. Any slight issues with chipset or other drivers (which can be notorious to fully remove from a system) could well cause significant issues on a new system. Personally I've built many tens of machines over the years and would never dream of using the old install, it's a recipe for problems. Also be aware that Windows 10 now has less than 18 months until it's end of life and out of security updates, so why not reinstall now :).

It *might* work but it's a really really bad idea to be honest. Any slight issues with chipset or other drivers (which can be notorious to fully remove from a system) could well cause significant issues on a new system. Personally I've built many tens of machines over the years and would never dream of using the old install, it's a recipe for problems. Also be aware that Windows 10 now has less than 18 months until it's end of life and out of security updates, so why not reinstall now :).

I am of the same mindset as I like a fresh install, but on this particular computer there is a fair amount of software that has special configurations, plugins etc. It would be a bit of a pain.

The other issue I have is the Windows OS. I've bought quite a number of them for various machines on my Microsoft account, but I don't know which one was for which machine. I can't remember if they still need the code, or if it will automatically deactivate the old one - but how will it know which one to deactivate if it's a fresh install from a fresh download?

I used ease us to clone my sata SSD to the strip one, without issues. New chip and mb.

Thanks. One worry I have is that it would be moving from Intel to AMD. I'm not sure if that could throw a spanner in the works.

Thanks. One worry I have is that it would be moving from Intel to AMD. I'm not sure if that could throw a spanner in the works.
Ahh no idea on that one I'm afraid. Always had AMD chips. Can't really see any problems though.

I'd try finding out where the config for your key programs are stored and see if you can back them up. The fact you're going Intel/AMD switch just strengthens my view to be honest, reinstall. Make sure you don't have the old drive encrypted and attach it after your install as an additional data drive - you can then copy over the relevant configs and files relatively easily.

I actually went from AMD cpu to Intel on my existing M2 build and windows just picked up where I left and had no issues associated with it. It is fine.

Samsung NVMEs come with useful free software to make cloning much easier. For that reason alone I would pick one now if I really had to. WD was a bit of a PITA actually when you don't want to spend $$$ for one off software. Recovery partition still buggered ever since

I'd try finding out where the config for your key programs are stored and see if you can back them up. The fact you're going Intel/AMD switch just strengthens my view to be honest, reinstall. Make sure you don't have the old drive encrypted and attach it after your install as an additional data drive - you can then copy over the relevant configs and files relatively easily.

I'm not sure if it's as easy as that, although that could be down to my limited IT knowledge! lol I'm probably best to make a list of everything before doing anyway, so I've got a backup plan.

Does anyone know about the Operating System thing I posted about earlier? I dread going online with Microsoft because they seem to make even the most simple of requests last over an hour.

personally i would do a new W11 install and just take your time getting it right
cloning between different systems is daft and also if you are updating you should move to W11

Doing a new install will get rid of all the Cr@p windows builds up over time.
Most software companies will help you with software keys you may have mislaid. If they don't replace with better software.

Back