Collective 2CV

A Crawl?

That’s probably caravans Nod!

Tell me about it!!! Having had a Dyane in the dim and distant past and having driven Dad's Mehari (both 2CV derivatives), I can say that it applies to 2CVs as well. The collective noun for snails is apparently a Walk and one of the 2CV's nicknames is "Racing Snail" so a non race 2CV could be a crawl!

I thought the collective noun for snails was 'rout'

I quite like the sound of a rout of 2CV's!

We owned a 2CV a few years ago - tremendous car, great fun to drive and teaches you all you need to know about preserving momentum and planning overtaking manoeuvres well in advance!

An old mate of mine drove his from the UK to France where he then had to drive around with a kayak in the back seat, sticking way up-out through the sunroof !!! (we were dong a bit of tricky Alpine whitewater kayaking for about six weeks).

I caught my Dyane on fire while thrashing it mercilessly up the A38 (good job it wasn't the A fifty five!!!) Must have got the exhaust manifold red hot which set light to the heat exchanger pipes.

I thought, amongst other uncommon things, that Trabants had cardboard in their construction?
Yes, that is certainly true - but that was the body, rather than what I think are ducts to the heat exchangers on the 2CV.

Heat...cardboard...what could possibly go wrong?!

These!
Screenshot_20240704_122419_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
I learned to drive in a 2CV6. Living in a North Wales town surrounded by hills meant I really got the hang of uphill starts - if you are familiar with the driving position of the 2CV you will understand but those who do not know will have never had the joy of the column gearstick, handbrake in the passenger side, the narrow windscreen and pedestrian acceleration, emerging onto the main road going uphill...

Weren't these essentially made of corrugated cardboard?!

Yup!

I learned to drive in a 2CV6. Living in a North Wales town surrounded by hills meant I really got the hang of uphill starts - if you are familiar with the driving position of the 2CV you will understand but those who do not know will have never had the joy of the column gearstick, handbrake in the passenger side, the narrow windscreen and pedestrian acceleration, emerging onto the main road going uphill...

The meagre power could be mitigated to some extent by using the large flywheel and slipping the clutch. That could get you off the line reasonably quickly but "acceleration" uphill was never their strong point!

Back