Yes
This is a wild lizard I saw, not in a tank or anything like that

Canon 100mm Macro

common-lizard-9461.jpg

common-lizard-9472.jpg

common-lizard-9480.jpg

Canon 100mm Macro + EP12 Ext Tube, f11, iso400

common-lizard-9497.jpg

I spotted this lizard within a couple of feet from yesterday and within 30 minutes of the time from yesterday.

Today I was prepared, the first 3 I took using just the macro lens, the last with macro lens and ext tube.

I spent around 30 minutes crawling about on my stomach, a few inches at a time, to get a low down POV and then I left it alone to do whatever it was doing... I figured if I hadn't got enough decent images in the 50 or 60 I shots, then I wouldn't. In the end I ended up with 20-30 really good ones which I then whitled down to just these 4.

Nice to have him pose for you ... is that some shed skin around his right 'wrist'?

It was, it was a late descion to go back and try agin, so I was quite pleased with these - the birds though were proving elusive.

Yes, I think it is, I noticed it on both front legs. I was wondering if it also comes here because the rough stones help get rid of molted skin?

I was wondering if it also comes here because the rough stones help get rid of molted skin?

Sounds feasible, though probably sunning himself.

That was my thought, this wall would have had the sun on it for a good 3-4 hours by the time I took this, with a couple more afterwards.. I'm guessing the gaps in the drystone walls would make good places to sleep or hibernate (presuming that's what they do).

Thanks Paul, I'm rather pleased with these myself. I'd never seen a lizard in the wild in the UK before, so seeing 2 on 2 consecutive days was a bit of a bonus. I really was surprised just how close I was able to get.

Back