Beginner Course finished what to do next?

Name
Adam
Edit My Images
No
Hi folks I hope all is well.

So my photography course finished a few weeks ago and although I believe I leaned a fair amount, I'm starting to think I've only just scratched the surface.

I feel a little lost with it all now if I'm honest. I look on here and see the photographs taken by members and then look at mine and to be honest I get a bit down about it all.

Okay, I've now got an idea about the camera settings but I have no idea about studio work, post production and editing.

I've been watching some videos by catsdog photography (I'm trying to get better at pet photography) but just feel like I'm a million miles away. I'm not interested in making a living from photography I should add, but I have high expectations of myself (regardless of what I'm doing).

I don't think I want to give up as I love going out with my camera, but just feel like, well to be honest that I'm a little pants at taking pictures lol.

I've looked online and there are a couple of well respected photographers local to me (some on here I believe) and wondered if an email to them for some paid 1-2-1 tuition could be an option?

I still consider myself as a complete beginner to this and wondered if anyone here had some advice?

Perhaps I'm just expecting too much of myself?

Last edited:
Now that you have completed your photography course and I'm assuming you now have a good understanding on a bit more than the basics, how about an editing course next?
I would recommend searching for Dave Kelly - The Joy Of Editing on YouTube.
He covers quite a few editing software packages and explains things really well.

I think trying to focus on one thing at a time helps, have a vision of what you want (even if it is replicating someone else's image) and work towards that.

I think a lot of people aproach photography in the wrong way - I sort of did the same. You pick up a camera and you want to be great at landscapes, studio, wildlife, travel an expert in photoshop and using all the different lenses and be up to speed with the the settings and menus on the camera. And, I think a lot of these courses try teach you everything and that doesn't help.

There's little benefit to nipping into all the genere based forums on here and wondering why your work isn't as good. Those folks probaably only post in that one forum and been at it for years crafting their skills.

My advice, take some time to work out what or who inspires you to take photos and go from there. If you're inspired, then the rest comes easy I think - Personally, I dont think inspiration will come from doing more courses but there are exceptons (or buying more kit) Seek out some photographers and buy their books and absorb their work, watch films and tv shows with great cinematogaphy or look at paintings / poetry etc.. perhaps combine photography with another hobby. Also, don't worry about taking great photos, because that in itself will hold you back.

Apart from trying to put things into practice, one next step would be workshops from photographers in the field you are interested in. If a pet photographer offers workshops, they've obviously thought about a structure and lesson plan, whereas someone local may not have thought about the structure of a lesson, and whilst you may come away with lots of tips, it may not be as useful as a planned course.

If you've done an introduction to photography course, there may well be follow up courses to consider, in same way that a GCSE can be followed by an A level, and degree courses.

There are a number of basic skill sets that are applicable to all photography.

The first is perhaps the relationship between "Correct" exposure relative to shutter speed and aperture. and ISO.
this include the "Stopping" power of the various speeds, and the effect on depth of field of the aperture setting.
as well as the limitations of ISO setting in relation to sharpness and "Grain" (noise) and its effect on available tonal range.

The next thing that relates to all Photography is choice of lens focal length, and its relation ship to viewpoint and the relative size of objects at various distances.

The third aspect common to all photography is composition. or the relative positioning of objects with in the frame.

The fourth and fundamental to all photography, is lighting. and understanding its relationship to modeling, texture and mood,

These Fundamentals might seem basic, but in reality they are all intertwined in very complex ways, and take some time to fully understand how they should be applied to every situation and branch of image making.

It is almost certain that you do not yet truly understand all these relationships and how to apply them in any situation.

Post processing has become an essential part of photography in the same way that darkroom, retouching and finishing skill were in the past. They can transform an otherwise correctly exposed shot into something special. It comes as a surprise to some people that "correctly exposed" , may not mean looking good straight out of the camera, but usually means giving the exposure that will look best "after" post processing. This can be something very different entirely

The problem with many courses for beginners are that they treat all theses things extremely superficially. Concentrating instead on a mix of how to set the various functions of cameras, and how to shoot various types of common situations.
As far as possible they avoid the boring technical whys and wherefores, that are fundamental to a full understanding, that will provide you with the tools to undertake just about any form of photography, and be able to solve the various problems, that you will come up against, for yourself.

Even a university degree course will concern itself far more with the fine art aspect of photography, than the technical understandings and skills basic to all photography. (in these situations, a departmental technician, is often far better at providing useful practical information and help, than the lecturer)

A few one to one sessions with a Photographer who has undergone one of the older technical courses and apprenterships will usually be able to get these fundaments across far better. and far quicker.

If you let people know where about you live, someone may step forward to help.

my last point is, that no one ever knows everything that there is to know about photography. it is a constant learning process.
it is this perhaps that keeps it fresh and interesting.

I have been learning photography for 77 years.

Last edited:
, but just feel like, well to be honest that I'm a little pants at taking pictures

Personally, I'd start from here. Why aren't you happy with your photographs? If you take time to work out exactly why you don't like the results (and don't even consider yet how to fix it) you'll get a better idea of where you need to improve. You can learn more from analysing failures than admiring successes. Once you know your weakness(es?) you can begin to think about how to correct them.

If you walk around a supermarket, you may not be aware of it but there are marketing/psychological "tricks" to make you more aware of certain items, to push you to buy them. It's the same principle with photography. There are underlying principles of what makes you like a photo (and I'm not talking about the "rules" of composition, which I hate) which apply to all artwork.

I learned more about photography from a book on art history and a couple of books on visual perception than I did from a shelf of photographic titles.

After the course....practice, practice, practice.

A photographic club might be a place to go, but in the meantime be self critical. If you're not happy with your shots, why?

Also don't overlook sites like TP were you can post shots for critique.

Last edited:
Whereabouts in the country are you?

I’d be happy to sit down with you and chat about things that concern you in photography, maybe by talking to someone with some experience it may help?

I don’t claim to be an especially good photographer, but for me it helps to have or develop a reasonably clear idea of what I want in a final image. That gives something to work towards and something to apply knowledge already learned and what be will learned in the future.

Hi, I'm just a simple fool with a tool, not sure if this is any help..

I've never done any courses, I've played with cameras for a while, but stepped up to DSLR's a few yrs ago, I thought I'd got somewhere, I read a lot online etc..

THEN .. I joined here (9mths ago) and started a steep learning curve, I've learnt the most in the last 9 mths having my images pulled apart and helped along by the friendly folk on here.

I learn by trial and error and learning from my mistakes, having the crit' really helped me along.

Good luck!

I've looked online and there are a couple of well respected photographers local to me (some on here I believe) and wondered if an email to them for some paid 1-2-1 tuition could be an option?

I'm a big fan of 1-1 tuition. I like teaching, and I still enjoy being taught.

If you take time to work out exactly why you don't like the results (and don't even consider yet how to fix it) you'll get a better idea of where you need to improve.

This * 1,000,000. If you can't work out why you don't like your pictures after you've taken them, then you've got little chance of working out how to improve them in the seconds before you
press the button.

I think a lot of people aproach photography in the wrong way - I sort of did the same. You pick up a camera and you want to be great at landscapes, studio, wildlife, travel an expert in photoshop and using all the different lenses and be up to speed with the the settings and menus on the camera. And, I think a lot of these courses try teach you everything and that doesn't help.

There's little benefit to nipping into all the genere based forums on here and wondering why your work isn't as good. Those folks probaably only post in that one forum and been at it for years crafting their skills.

My advice, take some time to work out what or who inspires you to take photos and go from there. If you're inspired, then the rest comes easy I think - Personally, I dont think inspiration will come from doing more courses but there are exceptons (or buying more kit) Seek out some photographers and buy their books and absorb their work, watch films and tv shows with great cinematogaphy or look at paintings / poetry etc.. perhaps combine photography with another hobby. Also, don't worry about taking great photos, because that in itself will hold you back.

Also this. It's all about what you point it at. The camera is just a tool.

You were convinced the training course would make you a 'better' photographer, and it didn't. So now you're asking what further training courses might finish the job?

Do you really still think that's a winning strategy?

There's nothing wrong with courses, there's nothing wrong with anyone undertaking learning 'just for the sake of it', I'm a big fan of education.

However, if you want to get 'good' at something, the answer lies in understanding your own knowledge gaps and doing the precise learning required to fix that. I'll guarantee that the difference between your photography and 'great' photo's isn't a bit of PP or a better understanding of the exposure triangle.

Post some images and listen to others tips on how to improve, or just post some links to others work you'd like to replicate and ask if anyone can explain how it's done.

However, if you want to get 'good' at something, the answer lies in understanding your own knowledge gaps and doing the precise learning required to fix that.
Doing it a lot, and frequently, helps too.

The main thing, I reckon, to really spur you on is to have a subject that makes you want to take photographs of it, or about it. Then look at how others have approached it and, initially, try to emulate them.

Then, as Phil said, evaluate what you've done; what was good and what was bad. Rinse and repeat.

It took me quite a while to find my favourite genre. I don't class myself as great at it, but I feel I'm alright.
I do struggle with composition, I find it quite hard to get what I see in my head, to transfer to the camera (I hope that makes sense). Practice is the best way, it all starts to come a bit more second nature.

Last edited:

So my photography course finished a few weeks ago and although I believe I leaned a fair amount, I'm starting to think I've only just scratched the surface.

I feel a little lost with it all now if I'm honest. I look on here and see the photographs taken by members and then look at mine and to be honest I get a bit down about it all.

Okay, I've now got an idea about the camera settings but I have no idea about studio work, post production and editing.

I've been watching some videos by catsdog photography (I'm trying to get better at pet photography) but just feel like I'm a million miles away. I'm not interested in making a living from photography I should add, but I have high expectations of myself (regardless of what I'm doing).

I don't think I want to give up as I love going out with my camera, but just feel like, well to be honest that I'm a little pants at taking pictures lol.

I still consider myself as a complete beginner to this and wondered if anyone here had some advice?

I can totally relate to this. I've been shooting just over a year and the first few months were me muddling through YouTube tutorials, taking images I wasn't happy with and being hugely tempted to go back to the safety net of my phone.

I promise you, you will get better. My biggest tip is to enjoy the learning process as much as you can. There are photographers I aspire to be like who I'm 95% likely to never be as good as, but I feel I'm getting a little bit more competent every month I stick at this hobby and every so often I'll take a shot I'm proud of.

See if there's anyone in your local area you can go out and shoot with, preferably with more experience. Ask questions on here, or on social media, you'll get so many helpful answers but most of all, stick at it and the results will come.

Try and pick a genre that suits the equipment you have and your interests and build from that. Good luck!

Adam - I was wondering what you decided to do to progress in the end?

I did the IOP certificate in photography which was good and gave me a refresher in areas and helped me think and develop in others. The tutor feedback was good.

I also found a course via future learn that is run by Open University and Royal Photography Society that I may have a bash at. Its about £450 and is more academic I believe as it carries university credits at L5 (undergrad / foundation) and gives you some form of RPS recognition. Info here (https://www.futurelearn.com/microcredentials/digital-photography-discover-your-genre?utm_source=Iterable&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=fl_triggered&utm_term=TRIGGERED_MC-LEAD-NURTURE_CATALOG campaign from Draft Workflow 71646)

I have also thrown myself at another 52 for 2023 here as this gets me out weekly doing something for the challenge and also the DPOTY 2023 on the forum for the same reason.

I have my little group that meets once a month and discusses projects and sets a theme for the month ahead. I have some people from that group that I go out with once a month and have met members on the forum for a walk around / coffee and some photography which have been a big help.

I have been watching a lot of Affinity videos trying to learn more about post production and last week took the week trial of lightroom which I shall probably keep also (seems far more user friendly that Affinity but I like some of the Affinity filters and things, so tend to swap between them now).

I've thrown myself at YouTube and have been trying to teach myself things regarding macro and long exposures and off camera flash.

Last edited:
You can't always be taught. But you can always learn. I've never done a photography course in my life, but I've gleaned bits here and there, like a Magpie, and somehow the basics of it have sunk in.

Hi Adam
There is sooooo much you can learn from YouTube and remember your Library - if you join you can get into a vast vault of wonderful books and magazines on photography all for FREE. For example, I get popular photo magazines dropped onto my tablet weekly/monthly. Don't go spending more money on courses.

It would be good to see if you can go along on a photo shoot with an experienced photographer for hints and tips.

The thing to concentrate on now is to get out there with your camera and keep shooting - anything and everything. It sounds to me that you are critical of your photos. That's good - you know what's good and not so good. Once you know that, you can be more analytical and determine why things are bad. Is it in the camera or in the eye of the photographer (composition)? This is the experience that you can't get from courses, books, and magazines. They can guide you, but you have to go it alone and try for yourself and learn from failures.

Good luck with it all

Learning is discovery. When I started photography as a hobby in the 1970's, I used to go out with a notebook an try different settings and see the effects. You can quickly understand the effects of relatively small change in exposure, the difference in aperture settings to DOF and shutter settings to freeze movement (or to blur). That was just the first few weeks and I am still learning.

Dave

I'm new here, although not very young. Came to the forum to learn from professionals.... I'm a fan of education as well and decided to share my thoughts... I also thought about photography courses before starting. Probably already a habit before doing something - to think, read, learn ... However, sometimes I find myself getting too carried away with theoretical knowledge and perfectionism, which can prevent me from taking action and putting into practice what I have learned . As they say, "theory without practice is dead."
I fully agree that understanding our own knowledge gaps is critical to improving our skills. And for this you need to share your work with others for feedback. This is where the fear of criticism gets in the way. He whispers that you need to take another course, study the work of others in order to reproduce their methods, and so on. And you just need to push yourself out of your comfort zone and take criticism as one of the best ways to learn.

Sounds to me like your working at turning a hobby into a chore. Relax and have fun! Don't compare your stuff to other's, compare to what you did yesterday and have fun with it!

I have also thrown myself at another 52 for 2023 here as this gets me out weekly doing something for the challenge and also the DPOTY 2023 on the forum for the same reason.

I have my little group that meets once a month and discusses projects and sets a theme for the month ahead. I have some people from that group that I go out with once a month and have met members on the forum for a walk around / coffee and some photography which have been a big help.
These particular ideas are excellent ways of getting mentoring "on the cheap", ie feedback about what works and what doesn't. I'm also finding that by uploading what I consider my better efforts to Flickr groups, I get more feedback in terms of Faves etc. My photography is decidedly mediocre, but I enjoy the journey more than anything, so that doesn't discourage me, and just occasionally people see something in one of my photographs that I'm not seeing. I've got one at the moment on Flickr that people are going mad about, yet all I can see is its faults! So it's definitely worth continuing in the way that you've described above.

Sounds to me like your working at turning a hobby into a chore. Relax and have fun! Don't compare your stuff to other's, compare to what you did yesterday and have fun with it!
I agree.
I have skills - we all do - but just having those skills creates its own pressure to maintain and improve the standard, and to a large extent, this can have an impact on the enjoyment.
I earned a very good living in a specialist field in photography that most people find boring, but I didn't, I loved it, but the pressure was always there (self-imposed) for every job to be better than before.

My other main skill is rifle and shotgun (English Sporting) shooting. I used to do a lot of competition shooting and also taught, and was highly competitive. Age and health have stopped the competitions but now I enjoy it more than ever.

I also have a hobby, watercolour painting. I'm totally useless at it, despite (many years ago) going to an art class for a while, and watching just about every YouTube video on the subject.
Every couple of weeks or so I create another painting, I thoroughly enjoy the process and am gradually improving, but accept that nobody will ever want to look at my work. I'm gradually improving because I limit my efforts to just one genre, and don't try to be too ambitious.

I find it reassuring to read that others feel that they are not achieving what they want with what they are doing. I dislike pretty much all of my output whether that is photography / watercolour painting / DIY or anything without a fixed goal. I always seem to avoid the sensible advice of others, picking out the bits I want to take up rather than hear what I need to and a morsel of self flagilation seems to be my way. Sometime I have an epiphany.

I need to stop buying more cr@p I really don't need and don't get full value out of and use the stuff I already have and understand how it works and gives me the effect I anticipated.

Barrel distortion on my 20-60 has been really irritating me for months and this morning I realised to just set up a preset on DXO that corrects it simply rather than clicking on each image. That'll help the image and my sanity. Now I need to composition and inspiration - the two really difficult bits to most of my hobbies. Before I stop buying stuff I need a lens with a longer reach though!

Is it not human nature to be self critical and filled with self doubt? What does achievement look like?

I now have a goal. I want to sell an image on Alamy. I don't care if it a basic couple of quid or something a bit more substantial. Now I need to work out how to achieve that.

I wonder if the OP needs a goal where his efforts are funnelled? Whether that it setting up as a pro tog or achieving a degree in photography or getting a picture into his local paper or something else?

I now have a goal. I want to sell an image on Alamy. I don't care if it a basic couple of quid or something a bit more substantial. Now I need to work out how to achieve that.
Good luck, I set my goal as a more realistic "get an image accepted on to Alamy", but that was over 10 years ago when DSLR bodies weren't as good as they are now. I would still like to sell an image on there, but realistically need to upload more images. My main concern with that as a goal is that isn't really down to you - you can get perfectly saleable images accepted, but it is down to their customers if you get a sale or not.

I'm just happy learning, studying, having a go. If I enjoy something I don't mind studying it or reading about it. I'm really not interested in making any money from photography at all.

I like structure in pretty much everything I do, wife says I run my life like a schedule and I hate it when something interrupts my plan lol.

I've completed the IOP Certificate in photography which was a good course (imo) and could go on and complete their professional diploma, or pay £450 and do the future learn course with the OU / RPS.

I'm hyper critical of the things / hobbies / work I do anyway, so it shouldn't surprise me that I am like this with photography. Nothing is ever good enough in my eyes lol.

Good luck, I set my goal as a more realistic "get an image accepted on to Alamy", but that was over 10 years ago when DSLR bodies weren't as good as they are now. I would still like to sell an image on there, but realistically need to upload more images. My main concern with that as a goal is that isn't really down to you - you can get perfectly saleable images accepted, but it is down to their customers if you get a sale or not.
I was accepted years ago…my CTR rate remains dire and reading the T&Cs properly realise most of my pictures are probably risky. I'm going to spring clean and I figure it is a numbers game. I need to concentrate on stories (but sadly that is the hardest bit).

I'm just happy learning, studying, having a go. If I enjoy something I don't mind studying it or reading about it. I'm really not interested in making any money from photography at all.

I like structure in pretty much everything I do, wife says I run my life like a schedule and I hate it when something interrupts my plan lol.

I've completed the IOP Certificate in photography which was a good course (imo) and could go on and complete their professional diploma, or pay £450 and do the future learn course with the OU / RPS.

I'm hyper critical of the things / hobbies / work I do anyway, so it shouldn't surprise me that I am like this with photography. Nothing is ever good enough in my eyes lol.
It’s interesting, Chris Packham says he has never taken a picture that he is happy with. Now some may disagree with me, but I think he has taken some pictures that are outstanding (though I don’t have any examples to share).

Even after many years, I‘m not often totally happy with pictures I take, but thankfully some are ok… I think.

Feeling like you've just scratched the surface after a course is totally normal. Remember, photography is a journey, and it takes time to hone your skills. Don't let comparisonitis bring you down! Instead, embrace the learning process and keep snapping away with that camera you love.

Now is the time to unlearn what you were taught on the course and develope your own style. I always think of the great painters in the past. They had their own style of painting and now worth millions of £. Where are all those that copied I wonder? nowhere. same on a course, everyone doing the same thing and getting nowhere fast. one can learn a lot just by how others have taken a photo.

I had a look through your Flickr stream and there are definitely improvements since you started this thread. It's a little tricky to gauge some consistency though as there is a range of cameras (and phone) being used as well as a variety of subjects, but your most recent ones are definitely a step up.

I wonder if it would be worthwhile considering picking just one genre such as architecture, landscapes, people etc which may be easier to master and boost confidence quicker? Then once you feel you've reached a level you are happy with you can add another genre and so forth?

Back