CR2032 battery?

Name
Neil
Edit My Images
Yes
I know nothing about computer innards. Mine has been making a fan noise indicating it needs a good vacuuming out and while doing this I came across a board that had the above battery on it. I never knew that there would be a battery on a board so took it out to check its condition while I was in there and it metered at 3.25 volts so put it back. The computer is now as quiet as it was when it was built around 4 years ago. Question is why would it have a replaceable battery in there? Briefly it has a Ryzen 7 processor, Seagate 500GB Barracuda 510, Nvidia Geforce GTX 1660 graphics card, X570 Gaming motherboard. I have no idea what they all are or mean.

I know nothing about computer innards. Mine has been making a fan noise indicating it needs a good vacuuming out and while doing this I came across a board that had the above battery on it. I never knew that there would be a battery on a board so took it out to check its condition while I was in there and it metered at 3.25 volts so put it back. The computer is now as quiet as it was when it was built around 4 years ago. Question is why would it have a replaceable battery in there? Briefly it has a Ryzen 7 processor, Seagate 500GB Barracuda 510, Nvidia Geforce GTX 1660 graphics card, X570 Gaming motherboard. I have no idea what they all are or mean.
The battery is to supply power to the BIOS chip.

This chip contains the program that "intitiates" the PC booting up before the Windows operating system starts.

Removing the battery IIRC resets the BIOS to its default settings. Therefore if whoever built your PC made adjustments to the BIOS (to aid its initial startup and configuration) they will be lost. Having said that you are very unlikely to see any differences.

Last edited:
if its a gaming pc and you have fast ram make sure if it supports it XMP memory profiles is setup

The battery is to supply power to the BIOS chip.

This chip contains the program that "intitiates" the PC booting up before the Windows operating system starts.

Removing the battery IIRC resets the BIOS to its default settings. Therefore if whoever built your PC made adjustments to the BIOS (to aid its initial startup and configuration) they will be lost. Having said that you are very unlikely to see any differences.
Keeps BIOS settings when the computer is off. I don't need to understand it to use it!

No, it doesn't. BIOS settings are stored in non-volatile EEPROM (or whatever). The battery just keeps the date and time going.

No, it doesn't. BIOS settings are stored in non-volatile EEPROM (or whatever). The battery just keeps the date and time going.

It varies.

Some systems lose their BIOS settings when the battery dies and there is no power,

I mean this constructively, if you're going to bluntly tell someone they're wrong, at least know the correct answer and not say "or whatever". Might also be better received if you were right too.

Aware I can be wrong at times too.

It varies.

Some systems lose their BIOS settings when the battery dies and there is no power,
As @Dryce says 'it varies '

On all my older builds the motherboards would lose user changes made in the BIOS settings if the battery was removed. IIRC the one exception was a Gigabyte board that had dual BIOS chips where the BIOS settings could be saved from 'a' to 'b' in the event of a failure.

Note
I say user settings changes, the base defaults AFAIK are in non volatile storage. and therefore fixed.

My last build in 2023....the manual (still!) says this:-

"21) BAT (Battery)
The battery provides power to keep the values (such as BIOS configurations, date, and time information) in the CMOS when the computer is turned off. Replace the battery when the battery voltage drops to a low level, or the CMOS values may not be accurate or may be lost.

You may clear the CMOS values by removing the battery:
1. Turn off your computer and unplug the power cord.
2. Gently remove the battery from the battery holder and wait for one minute.
(Or use a metal object like a screwdriver to touch the positive and negative
terminals of the battery holder, making them short for 5 seconds.)
3. Replace the battery.
4. Plug in the power cord and restart your computer.
• Always turn off your computer and unplug the power cord before replacing the battery.
• Replace the battery with an equivalent one. Damage to your devices may occur if the battery is
replaced with an incorrect model.
• Contact the place of purchase or local dealer if you are not able to replace the battery by yourself
or uncertain about the battery model.
• When installing the battery, note the orientation of the positive side (+) and the negative side (-)
of the battery (the positive side should face up).
• Used batteries must be handled in accordance with local environmental regulations."

Last edited:
If it goes flat you might notice date or time is wrong on starting for several minutes - some programs have tantrums about that so worth replacing if symptoms are noticed they are very inexpensive.

Back