Crater Lake

Name
Rocky
Edit My Images
No
Crater Lake is the caldera of a volcano that blew the top off Mt. Mazama about 7500 years ago. over time, it filled with water from melting snow. there are no rivers in or out. the lake maintains approximate equilibrium because the amount of water gained from snowmelt each year is about equal to what it loses through evaporation. it's the deepest lake in the US, at 1940 feet, and the water is so clear that a tester, called a Secchi Disk, can be seen from the surface to a depth of 140 feet. it's about 5 miles in diameter, and takes a multiple-frame panoramic to get it all in. and yes, the water really is this blue... Canon 30D, 17-35 lens at 17mm, 1/30 @ f/14...

CraterLakepano3sm.jpg

here's the panoramic view - 5 frames taken with the 17mm lens, stitched with Arcsoft PMK3 software...

CraterLakepanosm.jpg

Wonderful shots and a beautiful venue - nice bit of stitching as well!

Love the colours!

My initial thought was nice filter-effect! But reading what you've said made me realise the "depth" of beauty of that lake.

Nice panorama shot ... very serene.

WOW!! That is a beautiful shot! And a beautiful area! Washington is such a wonderful place. :) Great shot!

thanks! i'd love to go back and spend a couple of days there, rather than the 3 hours or so i had on this trip, to get some photos from various places around the rim (there's a 33-mile loop road all the way around) in early morning, and at sunset... it's also very dramatic in winter, but because the rim is between 7,000 and 8,000 feet elevation, the park is closed due to snow for much of the winter.

Both are amazing shots... what a stunning vista. However, I can't help but think the stitching software has made it look as if the lake is going to flow off to the right. Perhaps you can tweak it in Photoshop???

wow what a view, excellent photos, love the colour, they make me wish i could just be standing where you took those photos.(y)

What a great post! I really like these shots....that blue is sensational!

Congrats

thanks, everyone... i appreciate the kind words! :D

I have got to kitesurf there. That'd be so surreal. Nice panaramics, and that water is such and amazing colour.

bring your wetsuit... it's also extremely cold! :LOL: they don't allow boats on the lake, except the tour boat, but kitesurfing would probably be okay... ;)

Stunning shot - looks so serene. How long a walk does it take you to reach the position you took the shot from ?

Stunning shot - looks so serene. How long a walk does it take you to reach the position you took the shot from ?

from the parking lot to these viewpoints was between 50 and 75 yards... :D the rim loop road runs all the way around the lake, and there are a number of viewpoints. there are a few (not many) where you have to walk perhaps 1/4 -1/2 mile, but most are within a stone's throw, literally, of the edge.

Back