Damselflies

It's difficult not to have a lot of stems etc in the background.

One of the challenges. Sometimes, erant reeds, grass etc can be carefully moved to one side or folded over. I removed quite a few that night but I wasn't even going to try with that dragonfly we got, I was happy just to get that as it was.

You got great results with that lens Bob.

Green emerald Damsels I believe.
These are so flighty normally.

It's difficult not to have a lot of stems etc in the background.

.... Lovely crisp shots of the Emerald Damselfly (Lestes sponsa). The first pic is a male and the other two are female - Check their anal appendages and yes that is the correct term!

I think that the hint of habitat via the background stems is a good thing. The stem in the third pic is a bit distracting though in my opinion but all wildlife photography is challenging and you just have to do your best with what presents itself.

I carry Niwaki secateurs in a holster on my belt when out photographing wildlife, not just for insect photography. They are mighty expensive but can be unlocked, locked and holstered with one hand and the blades are Japan's best. No plastic parts to break - Buy cheap, but twice (was three times in my case with secateurs).

.... Lovely crisp shots of the Emerald Damselfly (Lestes sponsa). The first pic is a male and the other two are female - Check their anal appendages and yes that is the correct term!

I think that the hint of habitat via the background stems is a good thing. The stem in the third pic is a bit distracting though in my opinion but all wildlife photography is challenging and you just have to do your best with what presents itself.

I carry Niwaki secateurs in a holster on my belt when out photographing wildlife, not just for insect photography. They are mighty expensive but can be unlocked, locked and holstered with one hand and the blades are Japan's best. No plastic parts to break - Buy cheap, but twice (was three times in my case with secateurs).
Cheers Robin, and thanks for the advice re secateurs.

“Cracking” set of images, I’d have been happy to have taken any of these.

George.

cracking set Bob- that's seem to be a very nice lens :)

Les

The first is a triumph!

Back