Damselfly and Exuvia

SKM

Edit My Images
No
The exuvia is the empty shell left behind after a damselfly emerges. At the Blue Pool on Friday we spent a lot of time watching and shooting along the waters edge. It is difficult at this stage to confirm the ID but the majority of damsels on the wing were either common blue or azure so likely to be one of those

drying out, a process which may take a couple of hours before the damsel is ready to fly
1/500, f10, ISO 800, 100mm
28226356274_4d139e214d_z.jpg

another damsel just emerged and close to the empty exuvia
1/320, f10, ISO 800, 100mm
28559440060_f7baff982f_z.jpg

thanks for taking the time to comment Chris, shame you are the only one after over 160 views - makes me wonder if it is a waste of time posting

Nice finds and well shot/documented, its a shame they are a bit colourless but not your fault as thats how they are.
tbh I have only ever found the exuvia and never both but I do live in a drier place so always harder to find.

cheers guys

(although a bit bigger would be good so as to get a decent look at them)

well they are both almost filling the frame,so you wouldnt get much bigger

ISO 800 and 1/500 suggests hand-held in natural light. But I'm interested in the position and size of the highlight in the eye. Is that a reflection of the sun, or a blemish of some sort?

sun was behind and similar position on other shots so probably a reflection and you are right , hand held and natural light

well they are both almost filling the frame,so you wouldnt get much bigger

I was thinking of the number of pixels. They are 640 pixels on the long size. 800 pixels or even better 1024 pixels would be good.

sun was behind and similar position on other shots so probably a reflection and you are right , hand held and natural light

Thanks.

Cheers Nick.

I only ever upload to Flickr at 900 at most on the longest side and always post at a smaller size if it is portrait orientation to avoid having to scroll on my laptop screen - although I guess that would not be a problem if you are viewing on a large screen

Stan

Back