weekly Donnie's 52 for '24 - Week 13 Unkempt added.

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
Week 1 Close to home
Week 2 Hard
Week 3 Soft this until week 9 are all in one post
Week 4 Water
Week 5 Snappers Choice
Week 6 Neat and Tidy
Week 7 Filthy
Week 8 Whole
Week 9 Hidden

Week 10 Textures / Textured
Week 11 (something) Personal
Week 12 Shadows & Silhouettes
Week 13 Unkempt
Week 14 Gob Shot
Week 15 Snappers Choice
Week 16 Empty
Week 17 Structure
Week 18 Straight
Week 19 Bent
Week 20 Arches
Week 21 Weather
Week 22 Critters
Week 23 Vegetable
Week 24 Decay
Week 25 Snappers Choice
Week 26 Natural Abstracts
Week 27 Light
Week 28 Clouds
Week 29 Summer
Week 30 Drink
Week 31 Bridges
Week 32 Hot
Week 33 Song (Title or Lyrics)
Week 34 Cutlery
Week 35 Snappers Choice
Week 36 Tools
Week 37 Occupation(al)

A week late but better than not at all! I've tried this challenge several times over the years and failed to finish every year! Maybe this will be the one!

Anyway, Close to home is a simple shot of the frost on my car roof, Iphone shot, converted to mono and a little sharpening plus a slight vignette and I'm out of the paddock! :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Great image. Don't stress being late. But I want to encourage you to keep at it.

Thanks all for the encouragement :) As part of keeping up before tomorrows theme here's week 2's Hard.

Shot on my Sony RX100vii on a sheet of white paper with light from my patio window to create some shadow and depth.
Converted to black and white (Nik Collection Silver Efex pro 2) to enhance the rough metal of the hammer, a little vignette to help the eye focus on both the (hard) equation and hammer.
So, as Hard was the brief I think I've met it in 4 different ways.
1. It was hard to come up with something original as many's first thoughts were "Hard as Nails".
2. A hard tool, ie hammer.
3. The difficult / hard equation
and finally
4. The equation itself is Vickers Hardness equation which is used to measure the hardness of objects.

That works well on all counts Paul.
And as an aside, what a belter of a camera the RX100 series are. I have the Mk6

That certainly works!

Thanks for the explanation - I was about to try and look it up.

That works well on all counts Paul.
And as an aside, what a belter of a camera the RX100 series are. I have the Mk6
Cheers and yes, love the RX100 really still getting my head round it to be fair despite watching several youtube vids.
That certainly works!

Thanks for the explanation - I was about to try and look it up.
LOL, yes, I thought it would be worth adding the explanation :)

Nice idea and nicely processed.

If I was being hyper-critical, I'd like to have seen a bit of pure white in the brightest parts of the paper. As you said it was white paper, but it feels a little 'grey'.
I get it, it was hard to get it pure white without letting the hammer become too light, then I ended up noticing the almost linen nature of the paper and just left it like that lol.

Love that Paul :) Very well thought out and shot!

A great idea for the theme Paul and I'm glad you explained the equation to save me looking it up. :)

Close to home-fits the theme and nicely processed, I thought it was a macro of a leaf :)

Week 2 hard, definitely fits the theme and good info - I’m sure an equation or 2 will come in handy for a theme this year, consider the idea stolen :)

OK, long time no see on here! Had a bit of a year to be honest. Got a nice little sony Rx100vii thinking a pocketable camera would get more use, I was wrong and over 6 months later have gone back to a M4/3 setup!
In the intervening time both I and the wife have had some challenging health issues so it's been hard to have motivation this year.
But, trying to develop a different attitude to life so this week Ive been distracting myself with the new camera mainly.

Week 3 - Soft.
Shot in the back garden in daylight with a wide aperture to help isolate the subject, which is of course, a soft toy.

Week 3 - Soft by Donnie Canning, on Flickr

Week 4 - Water.
Living near the Great Ouse that flows through Bedford, it's hard not to use this for the theme. I was a little struck to see the grey heron stood with a bunch of swans quite happily a few minutes before I took this shot I have to admit.
Further up the river you can see the Suspension bridge completed in 1888 and still in great use today.

Week 4 - Water by Donnie Canning, on Flickr

Week 5 - Free Week and Technique ie SOOC.
A free week and after hanging my microfibre cloths out to dry in the early morning sun I thought they just looked so vibrant.

Week 5 - Free Week by Donnie Canning, on Flickr

Week 6 - Neat & Tidy.
Well, as I have a bad back I do tend to do chores / jobs in stages and this is no different. Car was all washed yesterday and so it was time to get to work on cleaning and coating the glass with some great product from Gtechniq

Week 6 - Neat & Tidy by Donnie Canning, on Flickr

Week 7 - Filthy
A piece of clinical equipment at work that's obviously not been cleaned for some time!

Week 7 - Filthy by Donnie Canning, on Flickr

Week 8 - Whole...
....black peppers!
Lit with natural daylight on a gloomy day and rested on a pizza peel. A few of the peppers scattered on said peel to lead your eye into the photo.

Week 8 - Whole by Donnie Canning, on Flickr

Week 9 - Hidden
So, what better than a selfie. I've done one before with both hands over my face but wanted something a little different this time and quite pleased with the result of this. I think the side lighting from the windo on the arm creates a leading diagonal into the darker side of the image where you suddenly see me looking right at you.
Conversion to mono of course as it's more flattering on my ugly mug.

Week 9 - Hidden by Donnie Canning, on Flickr

Last edited:
Great catch up set. Sorry to hear you have had health problems I hope things are on the up for you now. I like the vibrancy of your free week shot the selfie is my favourite of the bunch.

Great catch up set. Sorry to hear you have had health problems I hope things are on the up for you now. I like the vibrancy of your free week shot the selfie is my favourite of the bunch.
Thanks for that :) Yes things seem to be on a fairly even keel at the moment, just the wife to get back to work slowly and see how she goes I guess now. But we're both determined people :)

Keep going Donnie, good to see your contributions. Texture was nicely done, getting a focus stripe worked well.

Week 12 - Shadows & Silhouettes

So, I want to try and do a bit more milky way and last night was a practice to play with the new camera, heavily underestimated the light pollution from Milton Keynes and Im no good at the processing yet but hey, meets the theme.

Week 12 - Shadows & Silhouettes by Donnie Canning, on Flickr

Can handle that. What I wonder is whether that picture behind reflects your mood ... was your sleep disturbed and are the storm clouds gathering. Yikes !!!! :cautious:

I was too tired to have a mood lol.
However the picture was from a trip to Skye for the wife's 50th and I had it made into a canvas from the guys on here Tradecanvasprints and couldn't be happier

027 - The Cuillins, Skye by Donnie Canning, on Flickr

Back