Dusty negatives

Name
You can call me Sir.
Edit My Images
Yes
I processed some rolls last weekend and they've got loads of dust on them. I hung them in the only room downstairs the dogs can't go in as i thought this would be best but they've come out a lot worse than normal.

firstly, will wahing the negs again remove the dust or will it stay on there. To be honest I'm not overly happy with the shots so will probably do them again but it would be nice to know what to do in case it happens again.

Secondly, my tutor at college mentioned hanging them in the zip-up bag thing but he didn't stick around long enough to show me what they look like or where to get one. Any idea what he was on about?

Lastly, anyone know why I've got a pattern on one of the scans which looks like a fingerprint but definately isn't?

Cheers,
Kev

Its a newton ring, where the film is touching the glass.
Personally, I think newton should mind his own damn business, but it happens on flatbeds.
Dust, I don't get much dust whilst they are hanging, it all seems to happen come scan time.
I had 4 rolls to scan, scanned two on Tuesday, very little dust, scanned two on Wednesday and there was a significant dust event of biblical proportions.
Tuesday was raining, Wednesday was the warmest day this year - atmospherics :shrug:

York Minster with newton sticking his nose in, Epson 4490 flatbed

aos1sw.jpg

I processed some rolls last weekend and they've got loads of dust on them. I hung them in the only room downstairs the dogs can't go in as i thought this would be best but they've come out a lot worse than normal.

firstly, will wahing the negs again remove the dust or will it stay on there. To be honest I'm not overly happy with the shots so will probably do them again but it would be nice to know what to do in case it happens again.

Secondly, my tutor at college mentioned hanging them in the zip-up bag thing but he didn't stick around long enough to show me what they look like or where to get one. Any idea what he was on about?

Lastly, anyone know why I've got a pattern on one of the scans which looks like a fingerprint but definately isn't?

Cheers,
Kev

Washing again may remove the dust, but some of it may well have become embedded in the emulsion whilst it was still at the soft stage - prior to hardening off on completed drying. In a household environment, the bathroom is good place to hang films to dry as the moist atmosphere is less conducive to dust.

The 'fingerprints' sound like Newton's Rings - a sort of interference pattern, usually caused by the negative being in contact with glass in a negative carrier or in your case - the scanner. You can get proprietory solutions to clean the glass with which reduce the problem.

washing should do the trick. my old photo tutor once said to use one of those anti-static cleaning wipes (that aren't wet). It picks up the dust, and apparently makes the film repel dust. Dunno if it works though!

Back