EDIT: The smallest thing I've photographed... (Video added Monday 7th)

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
You'll hopefully forgive me the lack of detail in this - but it is as small as anything I have ever photographed I reckon...
Size is less than half the full stop on your keyboard!

Apparently...

This is Arachnida ( Acari - Mites ) - Oribatida - .. and at a glance, one of the -> Humerobatidae like Humerobates...

In English, it's a mite, and is very hard to see - they are a part of the soil diversity - Soil organisms are vitally important to sustaining life on land and are fascinating too!

fullviewcropped_1400-X3.jpg

Paul.

Last edited:
Great shot Paul, I'm amazed you could get such a picture without a microscope. (y)

Maybe you could stoop a bit lower next time so we can see its face? :ROFLMAO:

Not with my bloody knees!!! :ROFLMAO:

Amazing Paul (y)

More than a mite hard to photograph.
Great result TFS

I have photographed smaller objects, but only with the aid of a microscope and my results weren't nearly as good.

More than a mite hard to photograph.
Great result TFS

I have photographed smaller objects, but only with the aid of a microscope and my results weren't nearly as good.

The Venus 2:1 lens is really good - this is a massive crop of the bug and being very late at night it was pitch dark and the only light was from the modelling lights on the flashgun.

Paul.

Well done Paul, for (1) photographing it and, even more so perhaps (2) spotting it in the first place. Oh, and (3) which I'm always a bit astonished by, knowing what it is.

Body perhaps around 0.8mm diameter?

Cheers Nick.

They can be anything from 0.2mm to 1.4mm but this one was maybe around your guess - it was certainly too small to measure if I had gone for my ruler..

To scientific to work out from the image - I think I was like as not at 2:1 but it cold have been less, so a mathematician may be able to work it out based on the (cropped 1.6x) sensor size and the space it takes up in the frame - but way to complicated for me to work it out!

Paul.

Cheers Nick.

They can be anything from 0.2mm to 1.4mm but this one was maybe around your guess - it was certainly too small to measure if I had gone for my ruler..

To scientific to work out from the image - I think I was like as not at 2:1 but it cold have been less, so a mathematician may be able to work it out based on the (cropped 1.6x) sensor size and the space it takes up in the frame - but way to complicated for me to work it out!

Paul.

That's what I did.

Except I now realise I got it wrong. :D

On my screen the image was around 250mm wide and the round part of the subject was around 9mm wide. At 2:1 the scene width is 11.25mm. That would make the subject around 9 / 250 * 11.25mm in diameter, so around 0.4mm.

That is small!!! I'm even more impressed now.

That's what I did.

On my screen the image was around 250mm wide and the round part of the subject was around 9mm wide. At 2:1 the scene width is 11.25mm. That would make the subject around 9 / 250 * 11.25mm in diameter, so around 0.4mm.

Amazing;y well worked out. So yeah, 0.4 eh? Just shows what that LAOWA lens can manage.

Paul.

That's what I did.

that ties in better with Paul's original estimate of size - the full stop on my keyboard is less than 1mm across, half that would be around 0.4mm :)

that ties in better with Paul's original estimate of size - the full stop on my keyboard is less than 1mm across, half that would be around 0.4mm :)

Yeah - my eyes had a hard time noticing it - as I say it was a tiny dark speck on dark surface. It was originally near an indentation in the plastic surface, but when I looked again it had clearly moved across which led me to look much closer, and the full stop came to mind...

Paul.

I found a few on the garden fence tonight - added pics and a short mobile phone video - these again are Arachnida ( Acari - Mites ) - Oribatida (about 3 or 4 more of them).

mite2full_4k_1400.jpgmite2crop_4k_1400.jpgmite1full_4k_1400.jpgmite1crop_4k_1400.jpg

Paul.

Last edited:
That's really good to see the video and also the full frames as well as the crops. Very instructive.

Thank you Nick :)

In the video I inadvertantly made an elongate springtail leap away (I'm sure it jumps, there were no squish marks on the ruler or the fence)...

Paul.

Last edited:
I'm sure it jumps,
Absolutely they (Most of) do and I always assumed that's how they got their name.

<Web bite for the science >
Most species have an abdominal, tail-like appendage known as a furcula. It is located on the fourth abdominal segment of collembolans and is folded beneath the body, held under tension by a small structure called the retinaculum (or tenaculum). When released, it snaps against the substrate, flinging the springtail into the air and allowing for rapid evasion and migration

Very well done Paul a tough subject you have plenty of them

Is this similar

by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Looks like it - dumpy round body and shiny shell, with little legs (sounds like a lot of bugs, lol)... but I'd say they are the same critter...

Paul.

Back