Electrical question

Tringa

Numpty of the Day'
Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
I've bought two new ceiling lights that need to have an earth but the wiring to the existing lights is only two core.

Getting access to the wiring from the loft is easy so do I just need to attach a wire to the earth terminal on the new lights, take it back into the loft and attach the other end to a copper water pipe with a earth clamp?

Or is it more complicated than that and I need to get an electrician?

Thanks

Dave

The answer is yes; if you are thinking of selling your house...

... or no if you don't. if in doubt, I'd ask a qualified electrical engineer.

I've bought two new ceiling lights that need to have an earth but the wiring to the existing lights is only two core.

Getting access to the wiring from the loft is easy so do I just need to attach a wire to the earth terminal on the new lights, take it back into the loft and attach the other end to a copper water pipe with a earth clamp?

Thanks

Dave
Get the electrician and paperwork.

i suspect the earth is there to mainly protect any person from a shock hazard, do the lights have a metal body?

Thanks

Dave

Do you mean the tail from the ceiling rose to the lamp holder is 2 core or that the ceiling rose only has 2 core running to it? If there's an earth in the rose, no problem but if you need to add an earth, I'd be getting a certified electrician to do the job.

If your new lights need an earth they probably have a metal casing, so the simplest answer is to return them and buy some with plastic casing that (in most cases) won't need an earth.

If you must use the one's that need an earth, you will need to pull a new cable (twin & earth) through from the consumer unit.

As others have already suggested; if in doubt call an electrician.

Thanks for replies all. We are not selling the house and will be aware of the possible dangers of a live wire touching the metal casing. Think I need to talk to an electrician.

Dave

It's a long time since I was an electrician. Plumbing can and possibly should be be "bonded" but a qualified electrician should check continuity as I wouldn't be surprised if plumbing has high resistance or indeed an open circuit depending on what's been done initially and over the years. So no, I wouldn't do this at all if I were you and if I was an electrician doing this job for you I wouldn't either, I'd decide if the light fitting needed earthing and if it did I'd earth it to a suitable electrical earth.

Back