Elephant Hawk Moth Caterpillar

Name
Si
Edit My Images
Yes
One from my local reserve. I'd never seen one until a couple of weeks ago and now they seem to be everywhere.. I can't believe how big they are! This nearly went wrong as the battery in my flash commander died. Fortunately the twin flash and flash commander take the same batteries so this was taken with a single small flash

Elephant Hawk Moth Caterpillar @ Longton Brickcroft by Simon Lundbeck, on Flickr

I first saw one on my fuchsias a couple of years ago, and I seriously thought wtf, its snout was fully extended,
and I really couldn't work it out, but google came to the rescue ...

They are pretty though, well captured Si (y)

Nice one had one in the garden thought I would get some pics after tea and when I went back it had disappeared ?

Thanks - the pair I saw looked settled in for a good feeding session. Planning to go back this afternoon to see if they are still about. Be lovely to see one of the Moths, but Caterpillars are a good start...

I first saw one on my fuchsias a couple of years ago, and I seriously thought wtf, its snout was fully extended,
and I really couldn't work it out, but google came to the rescue ...

They are pretty though, well captured Si (y)

Cheers, saw one up at Arnside the other week crossing a gravel path. Fascinating to watch one of them moving at full pelt, extending and then contracting. Nature is pretty amazing

Back