EOS Film Camera - which one ???

Edit My Images
No
Right folks,

Looking for a bit of advice. I am a canon EOS digital user mainly wildlife but have a growing intrest in portraits (sportraits?).

I am looking to have a go at film but don't really know where to start other than I am looking for an Autofocus film slr where I can use my current EOS lenses. I really am looking forward to this project and it will make a change to "wait for the post" instead of sitting at a PC screen.

So am I mad?, which model? - any advice will be great.:):)

Cheers

Rob

You are mad..but there again as are we all! :)

I have an EOS 30 film camera and love it. I still use it for B&W stuff. My wife had an EOS 3, built like a brick and more than I needed in a camera! Thats as far as my film camera knowledge goes I'm afraid!

I have just bought a near mint EOS 3, it is really great, cost me £125 from a member on here with some spare batteries and a dozen rolls of film.

It works exactly the same as my 5D except that there is no where to put the compact flash card and it takes these funny little rolls of memory instead.

Oh not too sure about the eye focussing though so I tend to leave it turned off.

AF and Motordrive is quicker than on my 5D. Sounds so much nicer too when the exposure is made.

I've got an EOS 1V HS.
I love it so much, and would recommend it to anyone wanting to use film with their Canon gear.
It's got that solid 1-series build and AF, 45 AF points, 100% viewfinder coverage... For me, feels great in the hand!

I've got an EOS 1V HS.
I love it so much, and would recommend it to anyone wanting to use film with their Canon gear.
It's got that solid 1-series build and AF, 45 AF points, 100% viewfinder coverage... For me, feels great in the hand!

And it can also do 10fps if you've got the right battery (NP-E2) in there! I doubt I'll ever use this though, I don't like that feeling of using film so fast!

If you manage to get your hands on the ES-E1 data cable, you can download all the shooting data to the computer!

Woolyback,

There's a message for you on your similar thread at EOS Forums ;)

I've got an EOS 1V HS.

Is this like the 1D (digital) equivalent in film terms?

Rob

i have just sent a pm offering him my eos 1000fn as ive no canon lenses left now [at what i belives a low price]

ime all nikon now [ok except my compact:LOL:]

perhaps you can pass comment on this model to help him decide

cheers john

I wanted to post simillar topic :)
Some time ago I had eos 50E and now im thinking about getting it again:) Anyone had 50e ?
But first i need to find out where to buy film etc :)

I've got a 30 as well. Eye control has always worked well for me.

Don't know what lenses you have so sorry for stating the bleedin' obvious but, you do know that EF-S lenses won't fit a film body?

All depends what you really need ..

My old ESO500n was aalways a 'family SLR' film camera - only 3 AF points, but £15 now on ebay

EOS5 is a good choice, although again its limited with AF and no real thrills - capable enough.

EOS30 - bought mine off ebay a few months ago - still only 7 AF points, but i find the eye control viewfinder excellent and it was easy to set up in my case. £51 with the battery grip was a bargain for the quality of build and the handling it offers.

EOS3 - very nice bit of kit, £120 seems to be the going rate on ebay. Sometimes i think i should have held back a bit and bought one instead of the EOS30, but i'm not sure all those extra AF points would really be any benefit to me.

I've had all my lenses (EF or EF compatible) on the EOS30 and they all work fine - from 24-105 f4 IS L, nifty fifty, Sigma 17-35 EX DG, Sigma 80-400mm OS, and even some shoddy old cheapo Sigma 28-200mm i found in the cupboard.

just spoke to my m8 at work and if he wont forget, he will borrow me his old canon av1 and ae1 program next week for some time along with some lenses he has :) im more intrested in those lenses than cameras ;)

Can I be chicky and ask here: where is the best place to get film ? can I get them in lets say Jessops? and then, can i develop films in Jessops or are there any other better places? ;) thank you

just spoke to my m8 at work and if he wont forget, he will borrow me his old canon av1 and ae1 program next week for some time along with some lenses he has :) im more intrested in those lenses than cameras ;)

Can I be chicky and ask here: where is the best place to get film ? can I get them in lets say Jessops? and then, can i develop films in Jessops or are there any other better places? ;) thank you

The AE1P was a very fine camera for its day. The Canon lenses of that era (FD mount) were, it has to be said not all that one might have wished for in terms of build. They certainly felt a lot less substantial than the FL lenses which they replaced and were more on a par with the Nikon E series lenses than the normal Nikon lenses.

The FL ("breech lock") lenses will work fine on the AE1P though.

Assuming that you mean colour print film this can indeed be purchased at Jessops, although you can also pick it up at supermarkets, on the bay of e and at places like 7dayshop. D&P is a different matter - I would avoid the Jessops service as if it was a rabid dog having found them to be pretty hopeless. The results that you will get with colour print film are almost completely dependant on the skill and dedication of the technician operating the lab - I am quite lucky in that the chap at my local Sainsbury knows what he is about and because I have had long conversations with him about photography he gives my work a bit of extra care to get the colours right.

Wow,

Thanks for the replies.

So for my simplistic brain can someone spell out the pro's and cons of EOS 1V vs 3?.

Cheers

Rob

I have an EOS 7 which I think is the US equivalent of the EOS 30. It has the eye control and the battery pack. It is in mint condition.

If you would like to know more pm me,

Jenny.

Thanks for all the info folks - I think its a 3 or 1v so off to read up.

Thanks again much appreiated.

Rob

Dont want to post new topic, so Im gona use this one:)...
Im still waiting for those 2 cameras i mentioned earlier, but for now i have Nikon FM(or something like this ;) ) with 28mm 2.8 attached to it :) im off to buy some fillm :) still dont know if I should go for B&W or colour...

Yes it is the same as the EOS 30. I got it out with it's Sigma 28-200 lens, battery pack, remote control and dedicated flash just in case woollyback wanted it ......... and looking at it again it is just too good to sell lol. I am thinking of putting my digital away and shooting film again, It's so fast to focus.

Jenny.

Yes it is the same as the EOS 30... I got it out just in case woollyback wanted it, I have a sigma 28-200 lens, remote control and battery grip...But looking at it again it is too good to sell it's so fast to focus. So I am putting my digital away for a bit and shooting film. I also found a dedicated flash for it.

Jenny.

Rob (Woolyback),

Have you seen this one (EOS 33 - IIRC No Eye Control Focus) at EOS Classifieds?

Back