European Paper Wasp

Name
Tim
Edit My Images
Yes
Just got back from 6 weeks in Spain. I was mainly there to work and to get some more family time, but I did get a bit of time to go and see what bugs where about.

There were plenty of these wasps, and not a species I recognised from the UK (they are slimmer than our German variety, and fly in a distinctive way with their back legs hanging down). I found one preening itself on a leaf, and managed to get a few shots:

Polistes cf. gallicus by Tim Garlick, on Flickr

Polistes cf. gallicus by Tim Garlick, on Flickr

Last edited:
2 excellent shots Tim glad you have managed to find some time with your now busy lifestyle :D

Excellent shots and colour.

Hello Tim, long time no speak, hope ya well :)

Detail is amazing on both, love the POV on the first, superb mate (y) I've got a right urge for a macro lens..........I can feel a purchase coming on! :D

Very nice indeed, well done (y)

Thanks guys!

Detail is amazing on both, love the POV on the first, superb mate (y) I've got a right urge for a macro lens..........I can feel a purchase coming on! :D

Good to see you here Phil! I definitely reckon you should get yourself a macro lens, but thought you'd be playing with your Sigma for a while yet ;) Hopefully we can catch up soon.

Did you have all your kit with you while you were away - MPE, flash, diffusers? What did you use for these?

Yes, Nick; I was away for 6 weeks so wanted to take a much as possible. This was with the MP-E and a softbox style diffuser. I managed to fit the majority into my backpack (aside from the chargers etc.) along with my laptop and a few other bits and bats (actually I had to take two laptops with me this time as I was working from there).
Anyway, I took some picks of it all before packing it away, so I'll post that somewhere at some point :p

thought you'd be playing with your Sigma for a while yet ;)

True, I love it, rarely comes off the camera!

Recently I've been having a play with the Raynox 250 I bought a couple of years ago, been quite pleased with the results.......but its like owt else, it hasn't took me long to think I need a macro lens :rolleyes: :D

I would like #2's DRL applied to #1 as its
blacks are not so rich. Great captures! (y)

Back