EVF in bright light

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
No
I visited some local lavender fields this afternoon which I thought would be a good photo opportunity. However I found the EVF on my R6 to be quite dark, even after I adjusted the settings in the menu and the diopter. The screen was no better. The AF point moving from the centre to the top left did not help. I wear glasses but generally find it better if I don't use them, my eyesight correction being minimal. The light was bright but it was cloudy, the sun was behind me.

My error or are EVFs still not as good as OVFs.

It depends on the EVF. My old Sony A58 had problems as you describe, but my A7III is fine. The baseball cap idea will help.

As a specs wearer I have the same problem in bright sunlight on my Olympus the simple solution is to switch to an extended eyepiece .. be worth checking if any are made for your canon model . Often third party ( Chinese) ones can be found

Some cameras have a "sunny" mode for the EVF and LCD, I'm not sure about Canons, if not try shielding the EVF with your hand, obviously this is not a great solution if you have a large lens and need to shoot two handed. There are eyepieces that are designed to shield the external light better, you can pick them up cheap on amazon.

It depends on the EVF. My old Sony A58 had problems as you describe, but my A7III is fine

I concur, I've never had a problem like this with the EVF in any of my A7 series cameras, nor do I recall one with the Panasonic G2 from ten years ago.

Canon used to make rubber eyecups for their film SLR bodies in the 1970s and 80s. Maybe there is a possible solution to be found in something like that for the R6?

I almost always wear a hat outdoors so don't have this problem. I have had a problem with moving AF points around accidentally - turning off the touchscreen sorted that!

Never had an issue with my R6 and it’s been on a few very sunny holidays.

None of my EVFs have ever been a problem in bright light. They all easily beat an OVF in poor light, unless trying to photograph something bright on a dark background (like the moon) where the EVFs boost makes the subject blown out.
99% of the time I find the EVF better brightness wise, and there are settings I can change for that last 1%

I have purchased a third party deep eye cup because on one shoot I had so much side light flare in my eye I could not see the EVF screen at all !
There was a low sun on this particular day which I had not experienced before. Not sure if light can bounce back into my eye from external light source, and some times the AF point has moved from the centre to a top corner of the screen. However a quick double press of he joypad re centres the AF point.

My camera in question is the R7

Back