Challenge Owner
Name
Gav
Edit My Images
Yes
Great set :)

It's all happening at your place Gav :D
Well spotted and taken (y)

BTW did you see you have aphids on your Bonsai ?
There is at least 2 in #4. And most likely a lot more.

Last edited:
"Excellent" set of macro/close up captures Gav, with some good detail.

It's all happening at your place Gav :D
Well spotted and taken (y)

BTW did you see you have aphids on your Bonsai ?
There is at least 2 in #4. And most likely a lot more.
Thank you, Chris, busy little spot :D
I did, there are a few on them, I'm hoping the Bluetits and Ladybirds spot them soon ;)
That's the Firethorn they are on at the minute.

Do you treat your trees for them? I've always let nature do it's thing, had no willow aphids this year :)

"Excellent" set of macro/close up captures Gav, with some good detail.
Thank you George (y)

Do you treat your trees for them?
I hardly if ever get them on the trees, they tend to head for the winter flowering clematis, they don't damage it, I just let the ants farm them and get the shots :D
Although their numbers have been greatly reduced, since I bought ladybird larvae the other year.

My biggest problem is scale, bloody things, they attack the flowering cherries, stopping them, well one of them, from flowering this year.
And I only pulled a couple off in the spring, too.
And yet the ash forest gets covered in them, but it doesn't stop that from growing.

I hardly if ever get them on the trees, they tend to head for the winter flowering clematis, they don't damage it, I just let the ants farm them and get the shots :D
Although their numbers have been greatly reduced, since I bought ladybird larvae the other year.

My biggest problem is scale, bloody things, they attack the flowering cherries, stopping them, well one of them, from flowering this year.
And I only pulled a couple off in the spring, too.
And yet the ash forest gets covered in them, but it doesn't stop that from growing.
We've got ants farming on the large maples they farmed the willow last year.

I'm thinking of Ladybird larvae, did they work on the scale? Lacewing could be another?

I'm thinking of Ladybird larvae, did they work on the scale? Lacewing could be another?
I don't think anything natural attacks scale.
Small toothbrush and lots of patience :D

I don't think anything natural attacks scale.
Small toothbrush and lots of patience :D
Not sure if this is of interest or not but thought I'd post :)

Lacewings are listed as pest control for scale here

Toiletduck is good on 'scale too :p:exit:

Back