Film camera servicing

cowasaki

TPer Emeritus
Name
Darren
Edit My Images
Yes
Having just bought a lovely new Nikon FM camera with series E 50mm f1.8 I have been having a real good look over it and the camera itself is in pretty good condition.

fm105.jpg

fm106.jpg

fm107.jpg

The focus screen is either very dirty with oil on it or else it is damage, there is some dirt on the outer casing, when looking through the view finder I noticed that there were a couple of tiny insects INSIDE the camera. The light seals seem ok but there is some dirt inside the film cavity. Any ideas if these are reasonably easy to sort myself or how much I am likely to have to spend to sort them.

Well I just thought, what the heck.....

Managed to clean the filter screen and inside using cotton buds and lens cleaner, then blew it all over.....

It looks nice and clean now when you look through the view finder.

I have just stuck a film in to see what the pictures are like!!

Will see if the seals are ok when I get the film developed.

thats one of the early fm's,,,,,sometime between 1977 and 1979 ...the ring around the shutter button is for when a motor drive is being used ,,, ( md 11 i think )they didnt have one on the next fm ( 1979 to 1981 or 2 ) i would have thought the light seals would be knackered ,,,the crap on the focus screen is probably the mirror foam damper falling to bits ,,,jon goodman ( interslice ) on ebay for the light seal kits is a good place to go

thats one of the early fm's,,,,,sometime between 1977 and 1979 ...the ring around the shutter button is for when a motor drive is being used ,,, ( md 11 i think )they didnt have one on the next fm ( 1979 to 1981 or 2 ) i would have thought the light seals would be knackered ,,,the crap on the focus screen is probably the mirror foam damper falling to bits ,,,jon goodman ( interslice ) on ebay for the light seal kits is a good place to go

Cheers, is it a reasonably simple job to fit new light seals?

Anybody got any idea what these things are worth?

its easy to do the light seals ,,just takes a while though ....

did this em ,,, and an fm ,,

as you can see the series e 50 on the em has a silver ring around it ,,,they didnt have one on the earlier lenses ,,,so an early nifty fifty series e as well

Another vote for interslice -- he now does pre-cut foam which makes it very easy to do.

You'll need some lighter-fuel, some wooden toothpics (though a wooden tool is sent with the kit), and some small tweezers. It is very easy and doesn't take long... maybe a couple of hours if you take your time and give it a good clean.

oh and another thing you now have a camera that can use pre ai lenses ,,,so if you see any going cheap grab them ,,,if you take the lens off there is a little metal tab ( just below the last n in nikon ) this must be flicked up out the way to use them though ,,then to get the right meter reading you have to use the dof preview lever to meter

Gave him £20 for the FM, 50mm, lowepro TLZ mini and Vivitar 16A auto plus a packet of new duracell AA batteries.........

I bought this camera specifically for IR film as the F80 cannot use it. He stuck it on ebay but nobody bought it hence selling it to me....

Gave him £20 for the FM, 50mm, lowepro TLZ mini and Vivitar 16A auto plus a packet of new duracell AA batteries.........

:eek: That is a GREAT buy!!!

i'd say you got yet another bargin if it all works ( no reason why it shouldnt )
if you do the light seals jon goodman gives you lots of advice on how to do it ,,,

just dont touch the shutter curtain ,, even when loading a film dont let that touch it either ,,,

Bet he uses the FM more than the F80 ;)

Just looking through the view finder now, how do I set the exposure? I have no instructions....

I have just been trying to follow the exposure instructions but there is no light appearing to the right hand side of the view finder. I am sure it did yesterday but I may be mistaken. Any ideas?

I have just been trying to follow the exposure instructions but there is no light appearing to the right hand side of the view finder. I am sure it did yesterday but I may be mistaken. Any ideas?

The batteries probably need replacing..

http://www.mir.SPAM/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/nikonfmseries/fm/basic.htm

I thought that but didn't have my tester handy. There were two new batteries in the case so I fitted them but it made no difference. Not sure how old the "new" batteries were though but an led does not use much power! Will investigate later.

I'd be surprised if it didn't work, but if it is faulty -- it's a fully manual camera, so just use the meter in another body (setting the same ISO) or get something like the Sekonic 208 meter.

It's just not doing anything. I am looking for disassembly instructions and I will have a look. It could be something simple like some of the old black foam is covering the LEDs or a wire is off. The power led is working under the film advance lever so it is getting some power.

I'd be surprised if it didn't work, but if it is faulty -- it's a fully manual camera, so just use the meter in another body (setting the same ISO) or get something like the Sekonic 208 meter.

If I remember correctly he's got a Weston already... :naughty:

:p

Another vote for lights seals from Interslice on ebay, I ordered a couple of sets for my Nikon FTns, came very quickly and foolproof (even for a fool like me) instructions.

Another vote for lights seals from Interslice on ebay, I ordered a couple of sets for my Nikon FTns, came very quickly and foolproof (even for a fool like me) instructions.

How much were they, I have an old FTn, and half a dozen rolls of Reala to get through, and I don't want them to get spoiled. I only have the f2 lens on mine, but it feels so solid.
Cowasaki, that looks a lovely camera you have there, but I still think you could have haggled a little over the price.;):LOL::LOL::LOL:

The light seal kits are around £6 + postage from Texas.

Just do a search for Interslice on eBay.

If you don't find what you're looking for just drop him an email - he's really hepful.

Woohoo !!!!!

The metering is now working. The previous owner had put in the batteries upside down. When I put in the new batteries I put them in the same way. It was only after taking it to pieces that I noticed but it is back together now and working....

I can actually put the film back in it now. I will still buy a new seal kit though.

I am loving this film camera stuff. I want a Nikon F now :)

Cowasaki, that looks a lovely camera you have there, but I still think you could have haggled a little over the price.;):LOL::LOL::LOL:

He had tried to sell it on ebay but got no buyers and I went to look at it. The exposure meter was dead, the camera was grubby, it smelled a bit strange and the focus screen appeared to be damaged. I therefore made an offer based on the camera being a pile of spares. I was really lucky to get it going and I didn't know about the flash or bag till later. I am very happy but so is he. Just need to find the right cameras at the right price now. I will be doing a film on this and another on the camera my dad gave me for my youngest then getting them developed later in the week. I will then do the seal kit before trying another. Once I know it is right I will buy some IR film for it and have a go with that :)

I think the FM is gorgeous. Not sure about which one I will use more than the other both have features that they do not share with the other. The F80 is compatible with all my FF lenses. The FM is IR compatible which is something I am looking at. I have a BIG shopping list at the moment so I am picking off the most expensive items whilst I have some cash hence the D700 first. I am awaiting a price off Stuart at DigitalDepot re a 7600i film scanner so I can get films developed at 99p and then scan them myself! I have arranged another swap in the next month or so and will be picking up an Olympus OM10 in exchange for loads of PA bits I had in the attic but I would mainly like to stick to the Nikons for now and maybe something special at a later date.

I think the FM is gorgeous. Not sure about which one I will use more than the other both have features that they do not share with the other. The F80 is compatible with all my FF lenses. QUOTE]

i think the fm will be able to use more lenses than the 80

The FM can use the pre-AI lenses but the F80 can use the new G lenses.

If you're interested in pre-AI glass you're probaby best looking for converted copies so you can use them on later bodies.

I think the FM is gorgeous. Not sure about which one I will use more than the other both have features that they do not share with the other. The F80 is compatible with all my FF lenses. QUOTE]

i think the fm will be able to use more lenses than the 80

The f80 and fm use a different sub set of nikon lenses. The fm can use older pre ai lenses if necessary whilst the f80 will use newer lens that do
not have an aperture ring. They will both use the middle aged stuff from ai onwards. I like both cameras and think I did really well pricewise. I am glad I found the 99p processing price at tesco! I will continue to keep my eyes open for older nikons now at the right price. It is a great way for people to pick up very cheap lenses. I got a nifty nifty with this camera for £20

ah yes the dreaded g lenses ,,,sorry forgot about those ( or tried to )

Right, well that's ok to a point...:D

Maybe when you get your scanner going, you might decide the negs aren't what they could be.
Do Tescos do E6, if not, you ought to have a back up plan. (for plan read processor).
Factor in additional cost for a proper lab, and do your own b/w negs.

We wouldn't say it was easy if it wasn't....:D

Right, well that's ok to a point...:D

Maybe when you get your scanner going, you might decide the negs aren't what they could be.
Do Tescos do E6, if not, you ought to have a back up plan. (for plan read processor).
Factor in additional cost for a proper lab, and do your own b/w negs.

We wouldn't say it was easy if it wasn't....:D

No they only do C41. I am waiting for Stuart from Digitaldepot to get back to me on the Scanner which I could be ordering on Friday with my 24-70. Whilst Helen and I are learning 99p to develop is ideal. Once I have the equipment sorted I will finish the studio which I will also be turning into a dark room so I will do my B&W there! I will need to find a decent processor because I want to start doing IR with the FM.

Back