Film problem...

Edit My Images
Yes
I bought a Canon 1000fn film camera off eBay, second hand, and borrowed my brother's 50mm f/1.8. I then bought a fuji superior 400 36 exposure film from Jessops and started snapping away happily. I made sure that all the shots were correctly exposed, and, when the film was finished, I took it to SnappySnaps, to have it developed.

When I got the prints back, I noticed that only 20 had been printed, and the rest of the shots on the negatives, were completely blank.

So basically I'm asking, what should I do. I know other people who shoot film and they say that sometimes 2 or maximum 3 shots don't come out but this is 16 I'm talking about. :thinking:

So, if anyone can help me, I'd really appreciate it, as I don't want to spend £7 getting 20 shots printed when it should be 36!

Thanks (and sorry for such a long post)! (y)

Are you sure you actually took 36 shots, though? Perhaps the camera started the count at 16? Not sure - never happend to me...

Nope, definitely took all the shots - saw it go down on the display - and I remember some of the shots I took which didn't come out. Also, the blanks are scattered around on the negative. Thanks for the quick reply!

Any indication from the film as to whether the shutter opened for the missing frames?

Does sound very odd.

Two which were printed did have a bit of white on the bottom but no, the others are completely blank. Might it be the camera? Thanks again, for responding.

As Andrew indicated, could be a stuck shutter. Try shooting a few without film in the camera and see if the shutter is opening and closing with every shutter release by looking into the front of the lens

Good point - trouble is I put in another film before seeing the finished prints! :bonk: :wacky: Oh well, will try that as soon as I've finished this film. Thanks! (y)

Check if there's any dirt floating around in the mirror box -- mirror up if you can.

Also, note the exposure values you're getting and see if you get any odd values based on photos at the same time and/ or in similar lighting.

When you've finished the film it might be worth seeing if there are any marks on the shutter -- but don't touch it :)

More than likely a sticky shutter or mirror. Unless you were using flash and it wasnt syncing properly.

If it is, it might free up a bit as it gets used, alternatively, it might just break altogether.

as has been mentioned above, take film out, stick it on manual and a very slow exposure and shoot with the back open/lens off to see what going wrong.

Good point - trouble is I put in another film before seeing the finished prints! :bonk: :wacky: Oh well, will try that as soon as I've finished this film. Thanks! (y)

You can rewind the film back, making sure it doesn't go into the cassette...make a note of how many shots were taken, then later on put the film back in, and cover the lens and viewfinder, fire the shutter until you get to where you were before and just add a frame on for a safety factor.

When I got the prints back, I noticed that only 20 had been printed, and the rest of the shots on the negatives, were completely blank.

What do you mean by blank
When you look at the negs are they black or clear.
Fuji Superior is colour neg, it has some good latitude, 3 stops over would still give you a half decent frame, not a complete nothing.
You'd need some kind of total failure to get black or clear..

Might be worth changing the camera battery, I seem to remember the 1000fn was very battery dependent.

Thanks for all the replies - I'm not sure I want to rewind the film back just yet - I've only recently started with non-digital photography and I don't really want to mess anything up even more than it already is!

When I say 'blank' I mean that it's just the colour of the rest of the film so I don't think any of it can have been exposed.

I've looked at the battery and it's completely full - so I don't think that will have been the problem.

I'm inclined to think that it's a stuck shutter, but I will, of course, check this ASAP.

Thanks, again, for all the advice - seeing as I can probably pick another one (or an other one) up for around £20, I think I'll just do that, if it is indeed broken. (y)

I do not know this camera, but the first test should have been. Back open, look through the lens from the back, fire the shots at different apertures and shutter speeds Canon did make a shutter that was pooh, it consisted of a stack of blades. I had a Canon that the shutter packed up in. Took it to the repair man who said it`s a common fault but Canon cannot supply the shutter assembly. Hurrah for NIKON.

***I had a Canon that the shutter packed up in. Took it to the repair man who said it`s a common fault but Canon cannot supply the shutter assembly. Hurrah for NIKON.***

Huh! well I've heard of squeeky shutters (really the mirror assembly) and sticking shutters because of non use (like Canon T90)...............but quite a lot of pros used Canon film gear and shutters can fail on any camera and I've never heard of a general opinion about dodgy shutters (except T90 from non use) on Canons.

***I had a Canon that the shutter packed up in. Took it to the repair man who said it`s a common fault but Canon cannot supply the shutter assembly. Hurrah for NIKON.***

Huh! well I've heard of squeeky shutters (really the mirror assembly) and sticking shutters because of non use (like Canon T90)...............but quite a lot of pros used Canon film gear and shutters can fail on any camera and I've never heard of a general opinion about dodgy shutters (except T90 from non use) on Canons.
It was a T90.

Have a look at the shutter when you finish this film, EOS cameras did sometimes suffer from a sticky residue on the shutter blades, and this can give some stange results, a professional repairer should be able to clean it.

Dave.

Back