film scanner showing lines on scans - fixed!

Name
sue
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

I have a Canon CanoScan FS4000US Film Scanner which I haven't used in about 6 months until this week.

I scanned a film and found lots of lines across the image.

scnner_prob_2009Apr01n22.jpg

I thought I must have scratched my film with my film wipers as they feel a bit lumpy... and I'd tried adding a touch of detergent to the final wash so maybe the emulsion was softer than normal... didn't think any more of it until I did another film yesterday. Didn't use the film wipers on parts of the film, and still got lines along evey frame.

scanner_prob_2009May01n09.jpg

I think the lines are in the same position on each frame across the films - which makes me think it is something gone funny in the scanner itself. :shrug: The films don't look scratched even after coming out the scanner.

Anyone had this problem or have any idea what has happened? :thinking:
Is it something simple that's gone wrong?

Sue

Have you tried it with a lower res scan ?

I'll give that a go tomorrow. Scanner can go up to 4000dpi, these were done at 2000dpi. Be interesting to see if the lines come up in the same places.

If that doesn't work try uninstalling the scanner software and reinstalling.

If the problem is still there install scanner to a different pc if possible and try again.

If still there is likely to be the scanner.

If that doesn't work try uninstalling the scanner software and reinstalling.

If the problem is still there install scanner to a different pc if possible and try again.

If still there is likely to be the scanner.

Will also give that a go. I use vuescan software, I could also try it on the Canon software.

I'm guessing that this isn't a common problem though as no one has jumped up and said I've pressed the "make it liney" button.

I've seen it before on borked scanners or dodgy drivers/software.
I've seen it remedied by lower res scans because the scanner was actually borked at really high res, but at 2000dpi you don't have too much room for manoeuvre.
Actually, I had something similar with Vue-scan and my Minolta, there were lines and everything was green, but I was messing about with scsi card drivers and other issues at the time and put it down to that, I haven't used vue-scan since, not because I thought it was at fault but because I found the Minolta software adequate and didn't need to use vue-scan.

I've seen it before on borked scanners or dodgy drivers/software.
I've seen it remedied by lower res scans because the scanner was actually borked at really high res, but at 2000dpi you don't have too much room for manoeuvre.
Actually, I had something similar with Vue-scan and my Minolta, there were lines and everything was green, but I was messing about with scsi card drivers and other issues at the time and put it down to that, I haven't used vue-scan since, not because I thought it was at fault but because I found the Minolta software adequate and didn't need to use vue-scan.

Looks like you've sussed the root of the problem - something has upset VueScan.

Picture scanned at 2000dpi with Vuescan

Vuescan_2000dpi_2009May01n03a.jpg

Picture scanned at 500dpi with Vuescan

Vuescan_500dpi_2009May01n03a.jpg

Picture scanned at 2000dpi with FilmGet software

filmget_2009May01n03a.jpg

But I do like Vuescan's software (about twice as fast and automatically does sequential file naming), so off to try uninstall and reinstall.

Joxby, I think you just saved me the cost of buying a new scanner as was convinced it must be the hardware. You're a star!

Sue

Ah - even fatser fix.
Noticed with filmget that it spent the normal random period of time calibrating the scanner... and remembered that Vuescan hadn't done this. So one last thing to try - go back to Vuescan, force a calibrate and then try a scan at 2000dpi....

Vuescan_after_calibrate_2009May01n03a.jpg

Super fix.

saved me the cost of buying a new scanner as was convinced it must be the hardware..

Sue

fablious, I liked Vue-scan too, the interface anyway, it also started to scan the wrong format, like I'd choose 6x6 and it would scan as 16mm micro film..:shake:
I don't miss it too much though, the minolta stuff is old school win 98 looking, but does the job pretty well..

fablious, I liked Vue-scan too, the interface anyway, it also started to scan the wrong format, like I'd choose 6x6 and it would scan as 16mm micro film..:shake:
I don't miss it too much though, the minolta stuff is old school win 98 looking, but does the job pretty well..

d'oh to vuescan. nice but sometimes nasty!

Back