Beginner Filters

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi been looking at Nd filters not looking for high end at moment as I am fairly new to it all.
Found a set of 3 filters 3 stop 6 stop 10 stop with case and cleaning cloths for £40 on K&H site. Just wondering if anyone else has used these are they any good for a starter set or would I be wasting money any help much appreciated.

In this day and age with modern software and cameras I would question if they are needed.
Exposure bracketing is easily done with a modern camera and software and things like Lightroom have graduated filters built in.
IMO the only two you need are a 10 stop if you want soft water ( although if your camera has an intervalometer you can do that anyway) and a polarizing filter

For landscape/coastal I only really use a CPL & a 6 stop ND - unless you want silly 5 minute daytime exposures that's pretty much enough.

Mine are Hoya HD/Haida.

Personally, I would save up and get a decent set of filters.

I disagree that you do not need ND filters and strongly disagree that the 10 stop is all you need. I carry a 3,6 and 10 stop and the 10 stop is my least used filter because I don't much like that ugly, milky, flowing water look with no texture or detail. The 10 stop has it's place but is often used by lazy photographers to create what they like to call "fine art".

A CPL for landscape photography is a must IMO. Great for taking the glare out of windows, water or even leaves after rain. Improves contract and vibrancy. You can't replicate that in post.

I use Kase Revolution filters, the glass is strengthened and has a hydroscopic coating and I'm sure there are others out there that are decent. Cheap filters are usually cheap glass and have colour casts that can be difficult to remove.

ND grads can be replicated in post or by taking multiple exposures and blending them in post, BUT that's not always possible if you have moving things in your scene like the leaves and branches of a tree blowing in the wind. Good luck blending that. In such cases ND Grads can come in handy especially on older cameras with poor dynamic range.

I shoot with a R5 and haven't bothered carrying my ND Grads with me for a couple of years now because I can usually capture all of the data in one exposure. If I remember, you are learning on a 400D which will be a bit more challenging in those situations and I would say that if you start to see this to be an issue in your photography you'd be better off upgrading your camera rather than buying ND Grads. They can be expensive for a good set and you need filters, holders, step up/down rings etc.

Last edited:
Nicely put Elliott - I wholly agree. (y)

I use Lee filters, but they are expensive new. If you buy them second-hand you'll normally save 50% or more over the new price.

Cheap filters mean any money spent on good glass is wasted.

One thing to remember, is that a lot of 'filter advice' given on the internet is total b*ll*cks and spills over from film days. In most cases, you don't need filters at all with a modern digital camera.

I use ND filters I purchased years ago when using film, made by Cokin don't know if you can still buy them, but the quality was pretty good.

As sky said probably don't need them now, but I'm still in film mode.

I think it depends on what your going to shoot. If your doing waterfalls on a bright day and want milky water then you probably will need filters. If your just shooting landscapes and movement isnt a part of the image then no, you probably dont.
I've shot a fair few waterfalls, and I've been fine with a cheap set of 4 ND's, there was 4 grads and 4 full ND. I dont use grads normally, and I only use the others when it's a long exposure I'm after.

Just think of a filter as another optic in front of your lens, put something cheap then it will degrade the image. I think £40 for 3 filters will not result in good images....

Round, screw-in filters from the like of B&W, while not cheap, are very good. Snag with these filters is the small matter of focussing with ND6 or 10 filters in place. This is where drop-in is better as adding the filter is more straightforward. Price depends on what system you have which dictates the size but budget for >£60 for a single filter (plus filter holders and adapters on top).

Intensity of filtration depends on where you do your photography, if you do say UK waterfalls an ND10 may be overkill but in well-lit places the ND10 would be perfect.

Re: Cokin - still think they might be around but I recall easily scratched plastic.

Back