Finally tried Macro

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
No
Still have quite a bit to learn about photography, my new camera, and macro. First attempt today in backyard. I hand held and used Aperture Priority. Going to keep practicing.flypost1-min.jpgfly 3-min.jpgflypost2-min.jpg

I assume they are very heavy crops and or a high ISO due to the noise on the images?
Initially try reducing the size that you post at, they won't look quite so noisy.

Not a bad start all in all.

That's a good start Dave, keep at it and I'm sure your results will only get better. Well done :D

Great start Dave. I have screw on Sigma macro adapter that arrived today, looking forward to finding some bugs in the garden tomorrow :)

Pretty good. You will find the depth of field (aperture) and the focus point are really important factors in macro photography.

Keep practising and what equipment are you using?

I assume they are very heavy crops and or a high ISO due to the noise on the images?
Initially try reducing the size that you post at, they won't look quite so noisy.

Not a bad start all in all.
Thanks. Yes was heavy crop and it was hand held so I increased ISO. Still much to learn.

Pretty good. You will find the depth of field (aperture) and the focus point are really important factors in macro photography.

Keep practising and what equipment are you using?
I downloaded some articles last night and am going to just keep practicing, Nikon Z6II and Nikon 105mm macro lens.

I downloaded some articles last night and am going to just keep practicing, Nikon Z6II and Nikon 105mm macro lens.
You could do a lot worse than check out some of Nicks @GardenersHelper threads.
Most contain a narrative on how he did it, what he's hoping to achieve and the kit he uses.

This one for instance
https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/t...aps-c-mode-on-full-frame.735993/#post-9114971

Or the Macro rig thread

Last edited:
Sorry, was ment to add a flash, even if it's reflected of paper etc will help control the ISO :)
Good point Gav.
Generic ring flash can be had quite cheaply these days.
Not prepared to pay the dedicated canon one, prices.
after mine died, I went searching and found a half decent one on Amazon, for about £25.
I know you aren't in the UK but I'm sure they'll be available in the USA too.

@Cobra, the Canon flash is eye watering :eek:

Just to add to the flash thoughts, should you go down that route..

Kenro, YONGNUO aren't bad bits of kit a few others too on Amazon as Cobra mentioned.

I've got the new Godox macro flash kit, not cheap, but impressive.

But avoid Mieke, I had one, worst buy I've done.

Last edited:
@Cobra, the Canon flash is eye watering :eek:
Why do you think I went for the generic one? :D
OK so its not as fancy but works well enough for my purpose.
THIS is the one I bought I see its gone up £15 in just under a year.

You could do a lot worse than check out some of Nicks @GardenersHelper threads.
Most contain a narrative on how he did it, what he's hoping to achieve and the kit he uses.

This one for instance
https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/t...aps-c-mode-on-full-frame.735993/#post-9114971

Or the Macro rig thread

Good links

Back