Fire brigade medal

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
No
Received this year for 20 years service had ago with different lighting and reflectors etc ,bit of photoshop to remove the clasp on the back .Canon 7d mk2 100L macro with x2 600 exrt flash units in soft boxes always looking for help as not my type of subject .IMG_1479630991.057780.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you for all those years of public service and risk-taking on behalf of all of us.

I'm curious about the lighting on these. Presumably you had one flash on each side. On the medals though I'm seeing very high contrast, with a number of very black-looking areas on downward inclined right-hand facing surfaces (and some rather white areas on some left-facing inclines) which look like the result of much stronger illumination from the top left. Perhaps this is deliberate artistic intent, in which case please ignore what follows.

I'm wondering if it is to do with what you did in Photoshop. Did you by chance bring the Blacks and/or Shadows down and/or the Contrast up in order to make the background go fully black? Perhaps this had a side-effect on the medals, turning up the contrast of the milder difference in left/right illumination produced by the flashes at capture time?

Thanks for the reply , flash each side 45deg feel free to re edit them I just wanted both sides to show on one picture but finding it hard to show detail without blowing out the highlights do you think just one softbox directly above would be better than two?

Last edited:
With another reflector placed to catch and give a lift in the darkest areas, it would look even better.
However you must not remove all the dark reflections or you will lose most of the shape detail.
Flash is not Ideal for this subject as you can not see exactly the effect before you shoot.

Congratulations and nicely lit, very good (y)

Nice shots and thanks for so many years of service to protect us.

Back