First Macro

Name
A Dragon
Edit My Images
Yes
I have a R7 and bought a ef 100mm f2.8 L macro IS USM lens working with a Meike converter and thought I would share a few of my first shots. Im still working on getting things in full focus.
Im still experimenting with which fstops work best with the lens set up im using. Ive tried taking some shots out side but it was to windy and ended up with crap lol. Anyway Im going to keep experimenting and if ok keep sharing my results? Always happy to accept help and advice to get better shots.

53023626942_caf79d40fe_b.jpg

53023627122_a0290762ee_b.jpg

As a matter of interest would the Meike converter act like a unintentional extension tube aswell?

Last edited:
Are these stacked images?
First image, top left corner, it appears have some strange effects?

As a matter of interest would the Meike converter act like a unintentional extension tube aswell?
No, it shouldn't effect anything it purely converts 'old' tech to the new body.
(I'm not a mirrorless user and happy to be corrected)

I can see the almost ghost like effect @Gav. Is refering to in the first image. It looks like a stack that hasn't correctly aligned correctly (I have had that a number of times as a relative noobie to stacking). I wonder what it is? Is the converter causing an issue? That being said, I can't see it in the second image...

Last edited:
Yes both images were stacked. im experimenting on finding the best way to get my images, and many youtube vids recommended that stacked images were better. As I said im still new at this lol.
My thought on the converter was this. Extension tubes by definition push the lens forward increasing the magnification ( i think still new to this) the converter is also doing the same thing in order to convert from one format to the other.

Yes both images were stacked. im experimenting on finding the best way to get my images, and many youtube vids recommended that stacked images were better. As I said im still new at this lol.
My thought on the converter was this. Extension tubes by definition push the lens forward increasing the magnification ( i think still new to this) the converter is also doing the same thing in order to convert from one format to the other.
I can't help with stacking, I don't do it, I prefer one shot macro.

I'd say some frames are out of sync though.

Converter is a tube, but only compensates for new design of mirrorless, the 100mm will still act as 100mm on Mirrorless as it does on DSLR.

Last edited:
If it is a stacked image then something somewhere went wrong with the stack. If you can pull the layers individually you may find the one or two that have caused it.

I find that movement can play a really big part of the stack working or not. I will look at the images I plan to stack first and see if any show glaring / obvious movement and then take those out.

I will add that I am no pro and am still learning myself.

Given you stated it was windy, I would imagine that will be the route cause of the stack going wrong...I also use a tripod for stacking with a self timer (usually an ev bracket shot of 5/7 images) to try and negate any / all movement.

Last edited:
My thought on the converter was this. Extension tubes by definition push the lens forward increasing the magnification
No, it shortens the focal distance, allowing you to get closer. Its still remains at 1:1

the converter is also doing the same thing in order to convert from one format to the other.
Curious, I'd not thought of that.
The minimum focal distance on the 100mm 2.8 is 12 ins. I'll try it out later.
(M50 + adapter)

As I said im still new at this lol.
I assume that you never moved the camera, ie was mounted on a tripod, or you have very steady hands, you just moved the focus point(s)

What programme are you using for staking?

Im using luminar neo for stacking and photo editing and im hand holding to take the macro shots
I use affinity for stacking, it blows most of the others out of the water, including PS.
Its also very similar to PS for editing everything, I paid 40 quid for mine, awhile back that was the MKI version.
It seems that its now Affinity II at a one-off cost of £67.99

There is lots of threads on TP about it too.
For now, this is their adverts.

There is a 30 day free trial too.
Might be worth considering?

As above, are you moving the camera, or the focal points?

Curious, I'd not thought of that.
The minimum focal distance on the 100mm 2.8 is 12 ins. I'll try it out later.
(M50 + adapter)
I just checked, it does indeed drop the focus from 12 inches down to 7 inches.
Now I've learned something.

Not wanting to derail, just learning :D
Don't worry Gav, I was just as curious as you...

From the net, Canon 70-200 MKII minimum focus distance of 3.9' (1.2 m),
Test across the range 38 inches ( 0.97m)

From the net, Canon 100-400 MKII Minimum focus distance 3.22ft. ( 0.98 meters )

Test @100mm 22.5 ins ( 0 .57m)
@400mm 37ins (0.94m)

Last edited:
Don't worry Gav, I was just as curious as you...

From the net, Canon 70-200 MKII minimum focus distance of 3.9' (1.2 m),
Test across the range 38 inches ( 0.97m)

From the net, Canon 100-400 MKII Minimum focus distance 3.22ft. ( 0.98 meters )

Test @100mm 22.5 ins ( 0 .57m)
@400mm 37ins (0.94m)
Interesting (y) cheers

Thank you Cobra I will definatly check that program out. And thank you for testing the converter to !!!
I think my issue might have been I took a 20 shot stack which might have contributed to the issues as more chance for movement. Next time i will drop it down to something like 10 and see how it goes. At end of day I guess its all done by trial and error until you find something that works.

Thank you Cobra I will definatly check that program out. And thank you for testing the converter to !!!
I think my issue might have been I took a 20 shot stack
No worries, I got curious too.
20 stacks are a bit OTT, as you worked out. I tend to use 10-12 at the most, depending on the subject 6 is sometimes plenty.

Back