First portrait with Godox TT520ii

Name
Ashish Tamhane
Edit My Images
Yes
I recently got myself a Godox TT520ii after discussing here.

Tried it out with the below portrait with the flash aimed at the ceiling and towards the right side of the subject. It was a cloudy day which gave diffused light from the left side, the bounced flash meanwhile gave some soft light on the right hand side.

CnC welcome. Thanks for looking.

_ADT5262.jpg

It's OK - but how honest would you like me to be?
The exposure seems to me to be about right, but there's a lot of room for improving the other aspects.

The right-hand position just looks odd, perhaps it would be better in a more natural, low position and perhaps hidden behind her?

The lighting seems to me to be a bit odd, if you want the technical term it's called broad lighting. Perhaps you could try using short lighting instead, coming from her other side and only lighting the right-hand side?

But, a good start - just not very flattering to your subject:)

The right-hand position just looks odd, perhaps it would be better in a more natural, low position and perhaps hidden behind her?

The lighting seems to me to be a bit odd, if you want the technical term it's called broad lighting. Perhaps you could try using short lighting instead, coming from her other side and only lighting the right-hand side?

But, a good start - just not very flattering to your subject:)
Thanks for the technical terms. I will look it up and give this a retry.

I do have one more pose. Will post that shortly.

Thanks for the technical terms. I will look it up and give this a retry.

I do have one more pose. Will post that shortly.
Don't worry about the technical terms, they don't matter and anyway, most of the info on the net is wrong:(

Hands are very difficult to photograph well. Most cartoon characters (think Postman Pat) only have 3 fingers because less is easier. Even top-grade professional models often struggle to pose with their hands looking good, and most amateur models struggle even more, so either hide the hands completely or include one hand that's actually doing something, for example combing her hair or applying makeup, or maybe holding something.
strawberry.jpg
The shot above is fairly complex in lighting terms, the background is lit with 2 lights, her hair is lit with a strong backlight, the key light, which lights only the least visible part of her face is a short light and there's a fill light too, but the light that's slimming her face and forcing us to look at her lips is the short light, placed in front of her face and slightly behind.

There were two reasons for the strong backlight. Afro hair is especially difficult to photograph well, if we don't light it strongly then it just becomes a dull mess, unlike most other hair types, and secondly this model was very fond of her hair, but in a sense the hairlight is neither here nor there, it was the short light that did the heavy lifting here.

Next, think about what you're trying to actually achieve - are you trying to show the subject at its very best, or just making a record of what s/he or it actually looks like? The pose has a big effect on the result.

The lighting makes an enormous difference. Why are you using artificial lighting at all? If you're using it just to create the quantity needed to make the exposure then you're years out of date and completely behind the times. This used to be the case, but your Nikon D750 can produce pretty good results at a high ISO setting without any artificial light, and the purpose of the artificial light is to place it in a way that shows the subject in the way that you want s/he or it to look.

If you haven't already done so, take a look at the various lighting challenges that people are contributing to in the Lighting Forum, they show how very different results can be obtained with very simple techniques - or (more accurately) with different thought processes.

Overall, my advice is simply to experiment, you'll learn far more from experimenting than you can possibly learn from reading anything that I or anyone can write:)

Back