First real go a true 1:1 Macro - Mr Bee

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
So I recently purchased a Sigma 105mm Macro and aside from playing with various stationary items, this is my first real go with it.
I got home today after a quick Autumn shoot around town and there was this little guy just on the floor, not really moving.
I'm guessing it's too cold for him but I had to take advantage. I used a 31mm extension tube with the 105 I'm not sure of the maths but I know that gives me a pretty good magnification.

C&C certainly welcome, I'd like to get into this a little more, it's good fun and the results can be astounding as I've seen around this forum :)

Mr Bee by rowee2, on Flickr
ƒ/14 | 105mm | 1/8Sec | 640

It's worth noting that this wasn't using a tripod, but neither was it technically handheld. The camera and lens were resting on various items on the floor to give me the right height and angle, with 2 second timer - So I wasn't touching anything as the shot was taken

Thats a very nice shot, at least the camera was supported in some way so allowing you to shoot at that low speed, well worth it i think, The detail on this is very good, was a flash used?
Bugs and the like are just about gone now even for me I guess and I live in a warmer climate :D so not many shots showing in this section for the moment :-(
Its suprising what a little sugar water and a little warmth will do to help this bumble on its way :)

Excellent shot, your technique works very well.

I think it's great, I like the detail you've managed to pick up of it's eye and hairs.
Has there been any post processing? And why did you choose that shutter speed?

Thanks! Yes there was a little colour boost and sharpening but nothing too drastic. I wasn't 'choosing' the shutter speed so to speak, I was more trying to choose an aperture that would give me a wider focal range to get as much of him in focus as I could. I also didn't want a hugely high ISO so the side effect was obviously a limiting shutter speed.

Thats a very nice shot, at least the camera was supported in some way so allowing you to shoot at that low speed, well worth it i think, The detail on this is very good, was a flash used?
Bugs and the like are just about gone now even for me I guess and I live in a warmer climate :D so not many shots showing in this section for the moment :-(
Its suprising what a little sugar water and a little warmth will do to help this bumble on its way :)
Thanks Graham, no flash, just sunlight. I do have a ring light but it is on loan currently!?! After his photoshoot I moved him into direct sunlight as I found him in the shade. 10 minutes later he was gone.

Excellent shot, your technique works very well.
Thanks Alby. More of a trial and error if I'm honest in this instance. But I'm definitely keen to keep going at it and see what I can do :)

Great shot Mark. I have the same lens and have never taken a image that good.

Great results from that shutter speed. That's why a lot of us in this forum use flash setups to help with using apertures of F11 etc. The flash gives the exposure - so is able to "freeze" the action so to speak.

With flash - you need to diffuse it so it is not harsh - lots of ideas and setups in the show us your macro rig.

Excellent image plenty detail great start in the world of macro.
GEORGE.

Good result Mark and a great effort. :clap::clap::clap:. Roll on summer then we can go play with the bugs again:) Nice touch Graham thinking of the Bumble(y)

Back