First stab at macro, a few garden beasties

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
Macro photography is probably one of those genres of photography that everyone wants to have a play with when they first get into photography and petty soon end up with a cheap set of extension tubes to give it a go, or at least that was certainly the case amongst everyone I knew that got into the hobby many years ago.

Somehow when I first picked up a camera 20ish years ago I missed out on that fad, but finally I have scratched that itch!:woot:

I picked up a set of extension tubes recently as a necessity for my work, I was trying to photograph some tiny defects in glass and couldn't get enough detail for the photos to be useful. Don't worry, I am not going to share those as they would bore you to tears, but I finally had a play in the garden yesterday looking for some insects, and this is what I came away with.

Image-001 by David Walker, on Flickr

Image-002 by David Walker, on Flickr

Image-003 by David Walker, on Flickr

Image-004 by David Walker, on Flickr

Image-005 by David Walker, on Flickr

While I have no specific interest in creepy crawlies, I do find it quite fascinating to see detail that otherwise goes unmissed, and of course the technical challenge.
All these were taken with a fuji XT3, 18-55mm lens and a 10&16mm extension tube. While I accept that there are probably going to be some limitations on what can be achieved with this kit, a dedicated macro lens is not on the table at the moment but keen to know what can be done in terms of technique to improve the results.

Great stuff. I have the same lens, and some extension tubes, but have not used them - now I can see what can be achieved, I should really get out in the garden!

I think they're a BIG success Dave. Well done :D

Great start Dave, lovely set :)

Thanks everyone. I think I will try to manual focus next time, see if I can improve on them a little.

The second one is a hoverfly, a female Syrphus vitripennis or torvus.

Very nice, :)

Back