First stacked photo: A Dragonfly

Name
Gez
Edit My Images
No
This is my first attempt at a stacked photo and this image is the best of the batch. Luckily this dragonfly settled on a potted plant and was happy enough with me moving the pot to arrange a more interesting composition. They were taken with a Sigma 105mm at f/4 and the composite is made up of 10 jpg images stacked together using Affinity Photo. I got the feeling quite early on that this was a challenging photo do to the complexity and multi-layered depth of the background, and had to do a fair bit of editing to bring the various leaves into a semblance of order, as the software wasn't 100% at deciding which in-focus element was in the foreground. I'm wondering if my take is a bit different to other Macro shots, I would be interested to hear any comments.

Right, onto the next one...

<a data-flickr-embed="true" href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/193383517@N05/51295423185/in/dateposted-public/" title="Hawker In the Green">Hawker In the Green

Last edited:
I think that is a very difficult type of stack. I don't use focus stacking for insects etc, but I do use it quite a lot for flowers. I get a lot of problems with scenes like that where there are lots of things that you want in focus overlapping one another.

It's difficult to be sure at the posted size, but I get the impression that the dragonfly has suffered, especially its wings, which look very variable in definition, in the interests of getting a deep background.

I think most people would be trying to isolate the subject from a complex background like that, although in this case I think it would probably be difficult. (I can try to explain why if you are interested.) As it happens I like the idea of what you have tried to achieve here but I think it is very difficult to pull off. So much so that it is the sort of scene (or the equivalent thereof with flowers) that I would almost certainly use a single shot for.

Thanks for your comment.
It's the upload. I'm having fun trying to work out what file size, image size and file format this forum will accept. the original 6000x4000 image has definition....getting something on here is the next challenge.

Thanks for your comment.
It's the upload. I'm having fun trying to work out what file size, image size and file format this forum will accept. the original 6000x4000 image has definition....getting something on here is the next challenge.

Probably best to upload to Flickr and link from that to here.

I think that is a very difficult type of stack. I don't use focus stacking for insects etc, but I do use it quite a lot for flowers. I get a lot of problems with scenes like that where there are lots of things that you want in focus overlapping one another.

Yes, I have learnt that now.... I am thinking of reducing the stack to just one or two for the background, and all off the relevant ones of the dragonfly, I think this will reduce the busyness of the background while retaining detail.
That said, I do like the busy detail in this photo in some ways. It'd be interesting to see the comparison.

The image looks surreal rather than real, but maybe that's what you wanted?

Last edited:
I think its a great attempt. (y)

My only comment is that you seemed to have also focused on the plant(s) rather than focused just on the subject.

Yes, I have learnt that now.... I am thinking of reducing the stack to just one or two for the background, and all off the relevant ones of the dragonfly, I think this will reduce the busyness of the background while retaining detail.

Possibly. It will be interesting to see how that goes.

That said, I do like the busy detail in this photo in some ways. It'd be interesting to see the comparison.

As someone else who quite likes backgrounds that are a bit busy (if it fits with the subject in some way, by way of shapes, colours, textures etc), I think you need to be prepared to plough your own furrow as far as busy backgrounds go. In my experience they are not very popular. Which of course takes us into "Who are you doing this for?" If popularity, likes etc matter to you then I suspect it may be a bad move. If the main thing is to work with your own preferences etc, then of course no problem.

The image looks surreal rather than real, but maybe that's what you wanted?

It does look surreal, almost psychedelic...it's not something specific I went for starting out, but I did go for that during pp.
Technically I think it's because of the multiple layers of haloing going on that lifts certain part from the image. Also, the greenery is quite uniform in colour.
To me, it reminds me of a painted illustration in an old nature book.

Possibly. It will be interesting to see how that goes.

It's all part of the learning process for me right now.

As someone else who quite likes backgrounds that are a bit busy (if it fits with the subject in some way, by way of shapes, colours, textures etc), I think you need to be prepared to plough your own furrow as far as busy backgrounds go. In my experience they are not very popular. Which of course takes us into "Who are you doing this for?" If popularity, likes etc matter to you then I suspect it may be a bad move. If the main thing is to work with your own preferences etc, then of course no problem.

This one is definitely for me - I'm not looking to change any opinions. Next is to try a clean background, isolate the subject, concentrate on the pixel peeping rather than the feeling of the image. I did consider whether this image was a 'macro' at all, as it doesn't fit with others in style.

Back