First time with macro

Name
Scott
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm very new to this, I only got my camera last week. Today my macro lens arrived and i had to have a play. With rain outside i needed something to snap away at indoors. I took about 30 pictures this one turned out the best.
I just placed the fly on the back of an envelope on my coffee table and snapped away, and kept changing settings till i got it somewhere near
From what i've read on here the more info you can provide the better any responces are.
Lens Canon EF-S 35mm f/2.8 Macro IS STM on a EOS 77D
Some natural light, the blinds were shut, used both LED's on the lens on full, hand held 1/250 f5.6 ISO 1600. Image was reduced to 35% of original, no cropping.
I would welcome any thoughts and feedback please.

Attachments

• IMG_0592-35%.jpg
    IMG_0592-35%.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 25
Good first attempt. There is a thread called Show us your macro setup, You’ll get lots of tips there. Are you shooting in manual focus? For best results indoors a flash with some sort of home made defusing will give you better results. Because macro gives a razor thin depth of field a higher aperture something like f11 or 16. Check out the Garden Helper on here, he’s your macro man.

Good first attempt. There is a thread called Show us your macro setup, You’ll get lots of tips there. Are you shooting in manual focus? For best results indoors a flash with some sort of home made defusing will give you better results. Because macro gives a razor thin depth of field a higher aperture something like f11 or 16.

This seems like good advice to me. The only thing I would add is "practice, practice, practice". Try photographing lots of things, indoors and outdoors. It doesn't matter what at this stage. Practice will help develop your hand/eye coordination and muscle memory.

Back