Beginner Flash for Canon EOS700D

Name
M
Edit My Images
Yes
What flash should I be looking for for this camera. I find the cameras flash can be a bit harsh. I do have an old budget flash unit for my old SLR but will this work with digital?

I have tried doing a search but not successfully, so if there is a thread on this somewhere could someone post a link.

Many thanks for your help.

Mick

Park cameras have a 430 EX for £53.00

As above, any ETTL flash will do.

But if you want to seriously improve on the ‘harshness’ of the onboard flash, you should explore bouncing an onboard flash or getting it off camera and using modifiers such as umbrellas or softboxes.

Or even, depending on your goals, looking at a mains powered flash that’ll help you learn quicker for similar money.

Many thanks troutfisher and Phil.
I did actually pick up some 2nd hand lighting gear for £40 off ebay. That has a couple of soft boxes, an umbrella and 4 or so flash heads - plus the stands, but will need to explore those.
I will look at one of the above flash units as it will mean I can put it in the bag.
Then it's all about learning the gear!!

I did actually pick up some 2nd hand lighting gear for £40 off ebay. That has a couple of soft boxes, an umbrella and 4 or so flash heads - plus the stands, but will need to explore those.
Post a link to what you bought and we can give some pointers.

As for speedlights.
As far as ‘any will do’ I’d stick with the following:
Yongnuo - cheap but usable
Godox - slightly more expensive but you’re buying into a great system that expands to every future need you might have.
Canon - as above a s/h 430ex is a great starting point, with better build quality than the Chinese ones.

But to get the Canon off camera reliably requires a transmitter and receiver, whereas with the Chinese ones above you can buy radio wireless versions so you’ll only have to add a transmitter.

In short - smart and cheap Yongnuo
Smarter but dearer Godox

Better built but less smart Canon

Just a suggestion, go and buy a copy of Gary Edwards book Lighting Magic
Its £30 from Lencarta or Amazon, its worth every penny , also take up Gary's challenges on here, you will learn loads

As for speedlights.
As far as ‘any will do’ I’d stick with the following:
Yongnuo - cheap but usable
Godox - slightly more expensive but you’re buying into a great system that expands to every future need you might have.
Canon - as above a s/h 430ex is a great starting point, with better build quality than the Chinese ones.

But to get the Canon off camera reliably requires a transmitter and receiver, whereas with the Chinese ones above you can buy radio wireless versions so you’ll only have to add a transmitter.

In short - smart and cheap Yongnuo
Smarter but dearer Godox

Better built but less smart Canon
Thanks for your help Phil. This may be a bit cheeky, but may I ask what model of the Yongnuo you would recommend. I have seen some on ebay but different models and I wondered which was best suited and usable for the Canon.

Does the lighting gear you bought off Ebay have wireless triggers and does it work?
I so can you get a speedlight of the same make which uses the same trigger?

Powerflash 336VM according to the listing.
I bought for £36 but gave the guy £40 as I thought I got a decent deal!

Thus is the listing:-

Two 11inch square soft boxes
1 23inch square soft box
4 336VM powerflash units with modelling lights and variable power settings - all tested and working.
3 Slave units with clip mounts - only 2 working
3 snoots and 1 barn door shades
2 Metal reflectors - the mounts for these are not to good (see pics 7 & 8)
2 umbrella style reflectors - 1 shown in pic 4 along with 2 umbrella units
3 Powerflash stands along with 4 others (see pic 3)
13 Flood light bulbs - most unused

Along with various other bits and cables

There is also a Minolta flash Meter 3 with the kit (not shown) this needs 6 LR44 batteries to work

This is mostly in a large wooden box with another small box holding all the flash units

I would recommend Godox, as it is easy to expand the system - a cheap radio trigger means that you can use the same flash either on your camera or off camera.

I would recommend Godox, as it is easy to expand the system - a cheap radio trigger means that you can use the same flash either on your camera or off camera.
As he already has some other flash I think that ship has sailed.

Thanks for your help Phil. This may be a bit cheeky, but may I ask what model of the Yongnuo you would recommend. I have seen some on ebay but different models and I wondered which was best suited and usable for the Canon.
I’ve just checked Amazon and Yongnuo units have really jumped up in price. They’re only a bit cheaper than Godox, so I’d recommend a Godox TT685c but they’ve also gone up.

1 23inch square soft box
4 336VM powerflash units with modelling lights and variable power settings - all tested and working.

There is also a Minolta flash Meter 3 with the kit (not shown) this needs 6 LR44 batteries to work

This is mostly in a large wooden box with another small box holding all the flash units
This was a bargain, but you won’t find many who would have recommended you buy it. The lights have a non standard mount so it's not so easy to go out and buy better softboxes, or other modifiers.

But we’re here now so let’s be practical

The 11inch softboxes go straight in the bin.
The larger softbox is about bare minimum for your needs
The brolly's should be useful
Ignore the flood light bulbs (there's a good reason the seller never used them)

The start point is to use one light - the more lights you use, the harder it gets.
And you're shooting 'natural looking' portraits - there's only one sun and it's in the sky. That's your start point.

Thanks Phil, I really appreciate your input here. Haven't even had the stuff out yet so it will be a while before I get to it.

1 23inch square soft box

This is what you’ve bought

And the review is probably as much info as you’ll find online.

Looks as if this is it

and this might be of use

and this one

I’ve just checked Amazon and Yongnuo units have really jumped up in price. They’re only a bit cheaper than Godox, so I’d recommend a Godox TT685c but they’ve also gone up.
Many thanks Phil.
I wonder if you could give me advice on the Godox TT685c and related kit.
If I use the flash unit off the camera I presume I will need a transmitter but there are a couple of different ones listed - which would go with this unit.
Also, if I get a transmitter, could I then use a receiver with the flash units I have, and if I can what would you recommend?

As far as the transmitter is concerned have a look here
You want the X2Tc for the TT685c ( I have the same flash for Fuji and its very good)but I have the older X1T transmitter.
As far as receivers for you other flash units are concerned I have no idea but depending on the price and use you might be as well with a Godox TT350 unit they seem to be around £70 and its a lot lighter than the 685.

Last edited:
Many thanks Phil.
I wonder if you could give me advice on the Godox TT685c and related kit.
If I use the flash unit off the camera I presume I will need a transmitter but there are a couple of different ones listed - which would go with this unit.
Also, if I get a transmitter, could I then use a receiver with the flash units I have, and if I can what would you recommend?
As above, there’s a few options for transmitters, but the xpro is probably my preference.

The x1r receivers aren’t as simple, as they’re designed for mounting speedlights, but they can be cabled up. But they’ll still only be dumb, so you’re paying for a lot of functionality you can’t use with your existing flashes.

The best answer might be an xt2 transmitter for the speedlight and some dumb triggers for the old flashes. You can mount the transmitter on the xt2 as a pass through.

I notice there is TT685C and the newer TT685 II C Do you know is the older or newer version better. I may be able to pick up an older version at a more reasonable price.

I notice there is TT685C and the newer TT685 II C Do you know is the older or newer version better. I may be able to pick up an older version at a more reasonable price.
Obviously the 2nd version will have 'improvements'; whether they're worth it is up to you.

Could anyone tell me if my EOS700D has the capability to attach directly to my portaflash unit via a cable?

I have also acquired a Godox X2tc if this is any use.

I was hoping to have acquired a flash unit by now but haven't yet, so would like to know if I can couple the camera directly via a lead.

Unfortunately I would like to use it tomorrow so no time to get anything else.

Thanks for any help.

The 700d has the standard EOS hotshoe, so the XT2c will just attach and fire.

If you have them both it's an easy check

If you're new to flash, remember to keep below Sync Speed, and remember that your camera meter in the viewfinder is only measuring the ambient and knows nothing of the power of the flash.

Quick check through you can do tonight.

Fresh batteries in the flash, mount it on camera

M mode on camera, ETTL on the flash

ISO400, 1/125, F/5.6

you will get an image.

Then take the flash off camera and mount the transmitter, put the flash a meter from the camera, and put the flash in the Radio slave mode.

Again, it should give the correct exposure.

I do apologise Phil. The flash unit is the Portaflash 336vm 240v studio flash (the 2nd hand ones I got from ebay as per post #10 . I need to know if I can hard wire that to the camera.

Sorry for the confusion and thanks as always for your help.

I do apologise Phil. The flash unit is the Portaflash 336vm 240v studio flash (the 2nd hand ones I got from ebay as per post #10 . I need to know if I can hard wire that to the camera.

Sorry for the confusion and thanks as always for your help.
You’ll probably need a hotshoe to pc cord adaptor.

There’s loads of ways of doing these things but it helps if you have a plan before you start buying. It’s frustrating for you and us if you’ve bought something on a whim without thinking whether it’s what you need or that you can make it work.

It’d help if we knew exactly what you’ve got, if you bought the speedlight, that’d be a help, if you’ve got any triggers at all with the lights, it’d help to know what. There’ll almost certainly be a pc cord, is there a hotshoe connector with it? At the time I had odds and ends of flash gear, I had several hotshoe pc connectors. 20 years ago, everyone had at least one.

Thanks folks. To be honest I am planning with the Godox kit but I have been caught short. I will plan the gear and look to build up to suit. I did think the camera may have a way to plug into it but I wasn't expecting to use it on anything so soon so I hadn't investigated it.
I am starting to learn the camera but hadn't got to the flash side yet. I picked up the X2tc because it came up at the right price and was expecting to use it with the flash unit.

Thanks folks. To be honest I am planning with the Godox kit but I have been caught short. I will plan the gear and look to build up to suit. I did think the camera may have a way to plug into it but I wasn't expecting to use it on anything so soon so I hadn't investigated it.
I am starting to learn the camera but hadn't got to the flash side yet. I picked up the X2tc because it came up at the right price and was expecting to use it with the flash unit.
Yeah, historically cameras often had a pc socket for connecting an external flash (pre dates the hotshoe) but in those days we didn’t have to make space for mic, headphone and hdmi sockets

I picked up the X2tc because it came up at the right price and was expecting to use it with the flash unit.
Once you’ve got the TT685, you can use that to trigger some of the mains powered stuff remotely. Or like I said previously, you can pick up some Godox x1rc receivers, but as I said, that’s buying a lot of functionality you’re not using.

The cheaper option is a set of dumb triggers, which you could use on the pass through hotshoe of the x2t or straight from the camera.

Like I said before, more than one way to skin a cat, but you need a plan.

Honestly I’m surprised that the Powerflash ‘bits and cables’ didn’t include a hotshoe to pc connector, I’d have 100% expected to see one.

Last edited:
Thanks Phil. I intend to get the flash but I will also get the hotshot to PC or get a dumb trigger as you suggested. At least I will be ready for next time.

Well I have managed to pick up some gear for next time. Whilst it's a bit of a mix that wasn't really my intention to get, it worked out at a similar price to just buying what I wanted anyway. I decided on a TT685c flash, an x2t transmitter and a x1r receiver. However I also picked up an additional x1t transmitter and x1r receiver which is OK as a friend also has a Canon so he can use those. I got the lot for £114 so hasn't hit the budget too hard.
Now it's a case of using the Internet for tutorials on how to use them and getting time to practice with them.

One question for anyone who uses this kit. Would it be possible to use the xt1 and xt2 on different cameras to operate the same flash units. We would like to sometimes shoot the same subject at the same time so that would be useful.

Many thanks as always.

M

"One question for anyone who uses this kit. Would it be possible to use the xt1 and xt2 on different cameras to operate the same flash units. We would like to sometimes shoot the same subject at the same time so that would be useful.

Many thanks as always.

It should work but you might have to play around with the channels and groups on the two triggers or the flashes little brain might get confused

Thanks troutfisher. My thoughts are one would need to be in control, and I presume in manual and the other in trigger only. I have only just got the kit and everything I have seen so far has been one trigger controlling a number of flash units.

I have printed the manual, but I can see this being one of those things that is either not covered or buried as its not its conventional use.

You need to set the channel and the group on the flash, then set the same channel and group on the transmitter so they both talk to each other.
You could set the same channel and group on the other transmitter so when that is on the second camera that will fire the flash.
Thats what I do but I swap one transmitter between two cameras.
Now with a two transmitter and camera set up thats fine but I have no idea what will happen if you try to trigger the flash with both at the same time, if there is a time delay between shots that should be OK if you give the flash time to recahrge.

Back