Fly with more diffusion

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
The diffusion test elsewhere has some early efforts - this fly on the garden path seemed to do well using today's home made botch job:

Cropped in as well for the extra detail view...

flypath.jpg

flypathcrop.jpg

Still work to do.

Paul.

2nd shot is fab m8

I really haven't got a clue what diffusion is but its bloody effective. The 2nd image is amazing.

That second one is pretty damned close!
Very nice Paul.

@GardenersHelper I've put some thin packing foam over the ring, and a bit of the diffuser material that is out of an old broken Lastolite, and then attached the RF on a small stem to the front of the flashgun's trunk. Still work in progress cos the rings will still show. You can see the ring flash now leans forward above the lens.
20200713_181827.jpg.e9f34fd2b7e906b21b58c14713efbe75.jpg

Last edited:
@GardenersHelper I tried the diffuser outdoors at lunchtime (noon-ish) using ETTL and the flash resting against the end of the lens for this little hopper.

First image is STOC with no editing into Lightroom, exported to Photoshop and saved as a TIFF, then a jpg (11Mb at level 12) and then saved at level 5 for sizing down to 1Mb for the web.

Second image is after my editing in LR using various sliders and the crop, and then exported to PS where I removed the bright droplet of water using the clone brush and sharpening for we to 1400px size.

stocweb-X3.jpg

hoppercrop.jpg

I didn't take to much time editing - maybe 5 minutes from start to finish.

The problem I find now is when getting closer to subjects, the diffuser and RF being above and forward of the end of the lens disturbs the subjects which, if they have wings, fly off sooner!

I tried to get in closer but this fly buggered off...

flyonleafsat.jpg

Paul.

Last edited:
Colour tones are also better. Diffusion is very good and for a ring light you wouldn't actually know it was that. (y)

Cheers Bryn.

I have ordered a small pack of A5 Vellum to look at. That will be large enough to cover the head of the RF.

A ladybird would still cause issues I suppose - the above examples don't really reflect the light back off themselves.

Paul.

Cheers Bryn.

I have ordered a small pack of A5 Vellum to look at. That will be large enough to cover the head of the RF.

A ladybird would still cause issues I suppose - the above examples don't really reflect the light back off themselves.

That is what has been driving me round the bend - reflective subjects. I pretty much stopped trying to photograph ladybirds using flash. For testing purposes I don't have any ladybirds at the moment, but do have ants. They are just as bad (possibly worse). I'll try my latest diffusers on them, but I'm not hopeful.

Can you move it back at all?

Not much... It's on a metal mobile phone in-car holder ( >>THIS << ) and it seems pretty unique. It can move at angles but what I need is something similar, but shorter...

Paul.

Back