Foolish thinking!

Edit My Images
No
I'm having one of those foolish thoughts about upgrading my camera :ponders:

Question is, how much do you reckon I could get if I sold my D70 body (approximately 10 months old)

?

Log on to EBAY , search for D70 & then click "completed listings" . £350 ?

So what would you upgrade to ?

DJW said:
Log on to EBAY , search for D70 & then click "completed listings" . £350 ?

So what would you upgrade to ?

..I was thinking 350-400... the new D200 has caught my eye, thought I will look out for the reviews in the early part of next year.

Joe T said:
I'd spend the money on glass if I were you. :)

..you know you're the second person to say that..

Any ideas? I quite fancy the new Sigma 10-20mm, I nearly bought it a few days ago then cancelled at the last minute... reckoned the credit card needed a rest. :confused:

I've toyed with the idea of a lens with an image stabiliser. Any suggestions on that front?

The new Nikon 18-200 VR could be a worthy replacement to you kit lens, but with much longer focal lengths.

What kind of stuff do you shoot? Do you need a longer lens? If so a Sigma 100-300 f4 is worth a look.

For wide angle stuff the following are all very well rated:
Sigma 10-20 - AP score 86%
Tokina 12-24 - AP score 91%

Personally, I think I would go for the Tokina.

Hope this gives you some kind of ideas.

Joe T said:
The new Nikon 18-200 VR could be a worthy replacement to you kit lens, but with much longer focal lengths.

What kind of stuff do you shoot? Do you need a longer lens? If so a Sigma 100-300 f4 is worth a look.

For wide angle stuff the following are all very well rated:
Sigma 10-20 - AP score 86%
Tokina 12-24 - AP score 91%

Personally, I think I would go for the Tokina.

Hope this gives you some kind of ideas.

..well typically I am a landscape man, and have been considering a wider angle than the kit lens for some time. Having said that, some of my colleagues on my night course have longer, higher quality lenses with IS and I've liked what I've seen, so a good quality replacement for the kit lens may be in order.. the Nikon 18-200 sounds good, but I wouldnt like to guess the price!

...just checked, available late december, early january... Warehouse Express have it for 489 quids.

Bodies come and go but good glass will stay in your collection. Last years Canon's 10D is this years 20D but many people are still getting better results from the 10D than some with the 20D. Honestly once you are at Nikon D70 level then the camera is plenty capable and you would do far better with better lenses and increasing your skill level. God knows we could all do with some more of the latter. ;)

Just my 2p's worth :)

Steve said:
Bodies come and go but good glass will stay in your collection. Last years Canon's 10D is this years 20D but many people are still getting better results from the 10D than some with the 20D. Honestly once you are at Nikon D70 level then the camera is plenty capable and you would do far better with better lenses and increasing your skill level. God knows we could all do with some more of the latter. ;)

Just my 2p's worth :)

..well I can certainly relate to that! I think I'll concentrate on a good lens from now-on, the new Nikon 18-200 looks very tempting.

The Nikon D200 looks to be a geat camera, in fact Canon really have to pull something out of the bag with the 20D replacement to stay in contention at this price point. If you're a first time DSLR buyer and you've got the moolah, it's the one to go for without a doubt, but it will do absolutely nothing to improve your photography if you currently use a 70D.

Bodies come and go as Steve said, but good glass is with you for a long time, and will drastically improve the options you have in the approach to your shots, and is capable of making a really significant difference to your work. :)

New cameras are always good for the ego - but it's the lenses that count.
I told the bosses on Thursday that I'd keep my old lenses if they bought the new ones they were suggesting as they didn't cut it as far as I was concerned.

For those of you who are interested, the rejected lenses were the 80-400 VR Nikkor,
the 14mm Sigma and a couple of medium zooms with variable max apertures in the f/4-5 region.
The 80-400 is ridiculously slow to focus and 'hunts' badly in low light and is noticably 'soft' compared to other tele-zooms in the Nikon stable.
The Nikon Major accounts manager told us that it was the chip and not the optics... Hmmm... new lenses have chips in them now....?
I'll be sticking to my older analogue lenses then.

To reiterate - stick with what you've got, buy some ridiculously expensive glass for Xmas (price of a D200 is what? - What lens could you get for the same money?) and shoot some pixels dead.

Back