For the people who remember camcorders.....

Name
Lee
Edit My Images
Yes
:)

I have found an old Sony DCR HC24E which does still power up. It's been sat, unused for many years. The tape currently in there is of my two kids way before pre-school age - & they are now 18 and 20!!

It has the 'big' micro USB connection, an A/V Out & a DV Out sockets - The leads may well be somewhere.....

How do I connect it to my PC (Windows 10) and what program do I need to transfer it across to make a PC 'digital' copy from the tape?

TIA

That looks great. I have a few tapes lying around. I need to dig out the camcorder and see if it powers up.

If not, are there any services I can send the tapes to get them digitised that people recommend ?

Actually thinking more, if you have usb-c Thunderbolt (not usb) ports in theory you can adapt them to Thunderbolt 2 which converts to FW800 and thus to FW400 and then iLink, which is a very cursed dongle setup.

The reason this might be a goer is iLink is 4 pin FireWire not 8 so doesn’t need external power.

Drivers for old FW on modern windows might be an issue though.

I used to work with FireWire cameras for work, hence having this obscure knowledge. I don’t have any of the right kit left though, usb3 mostly killed it off.

If you know any audio/music enthusiasts they might have a FireWire device or Thunderbolt dock with FireWire around still as it was commonly used there (better latency properties).

If you have a desktop (or external PCIe enclosure) and are comfortable with expansion cards, something like this would do the trick

Not used that one but the comments have people saying it works with modern windows.

AV out to a capture card will work too though at lower quality, as above.

They all just show up as UVC video devices so OBS would work fine, or even the W10 “camera” app.

I still have one that works ok but not used for many years everything actually works but needs new tapes. still got everything to charge it up as well. infact the complete kit.

P1011140.jpg

P1011143.jpg

P1011137.jpg

Only used a couple of times an d bought new

The only reason I still have it is because no one wants it. I have all the cables that came with it. So it has been sitting in a camera bag for more years than i care to remember

Shown below working sorry about camera shake. flashing red light is charging the batteries.. Just tested and works ok.
will sell if anyone is interested

View: https://youtu.be/NuD49q2XCcw

Last edited:
You can get lower quality video off it with the usb cable apparently:

But ideally you use FireWire (Sony call it iLink and IIRC a different connector). But you’re unlikely to have that on a modern laptop and it’s a pain to adapt to (you can’t from usb for reasons that don’t really matter here).

Sorry, I had no notifications of these replies at the time.

I run a desktop of which the main casing/build is from 2013!! :oops: :$ :ROFLMAO: I actually moved the desk on Friday (decorating) and could have checked what's on the back! It will be moving again though soon.

I still have one that works ok but not used for many years everything actually works but needs new tapes. still got everything to charge it up as well. infact the complete kit.

View attachment 434458

View attachment 434460

View attachment 434459

The only reason I still have it is because no one wants it. I have all the cables that came with it. So it has been sitting in a camera bagfor more years than i care to remember

Shown below working sorry about camera shake. flashing red light is charging the batteries.. Just tested and works ok.
will sale if anyone is interested

The tape I found in mine has the kids at a pre-school age.....

They are 18 & 20 now!

View attachment 434458

View attachment 434460

View attachment 434459

The only reason I still have it is because no one wants it. I have all the cables that came with it. So it has been sitting in a camera bag for more years than i care to remember

will sell if anyone is interested

Iast year I came across an old Panasonic in a similar style to yours that l hadn't used for over ten years. To my amazement the battery charged up and the camera worked fine. For devilment I stuck it on eBay thinking if l got a tenner for it l would be well pleased, it went to a guy in Northern Islands for £85 plus postage.

Back