Forest Raven

Great looking bird, composition in #1 for me, though colours of the feathers look different between the two :)

I envy you to have a cousin of the Canadian ones I know very well and miss here.
feathers look different between the two
Gramps is right here, I cooked up this suggestion:

Ravenpp.jpg

wonderful shots Mike - spectacular bird - for me, the bluish/violet almost metallic sheen is perfectly normal and. as is in your shots.............. presumably Black Mountains are in Wales and they are (Common) Ravens

the amount of space that you give around the bird is a matter of personal choice .. I'd just prefer to see a little more as the bird is so bloody big

Last edited:
Great capture of the damp atmosphere of the forest - Suits the Raven subject very well.

The background colour is consistent between the images and any difference in plumage colour is down to the light angles - Such a range of plumage colours is typical of the species.

The background colour is consistent between the images

Not on my monitor Robin, it is clearly the same setting but the 2nd image is lighter all round.
The colour of the feathers in #1 has a predominantly blue/green hue, whereas the colour in #2 has a predominantly purple/magenta hue.
Now this doesn't detract from the fact that they are good images of the birds, (in fact a very nice study of them), but whether it is through processing or light variations I don't know but definitely different and I doubt it's a natural difference in the actual feathers :)

Two very nice shots Mike, both showing some good detail and nice composition.(y)

George.

Not on my monitor Robin, it is clearly the same setting but the 2nd image is lighter all round.
The colour of the feathers in #1 has a predominantly blue/green hue, whereas the colour in #2 has a predominantly purple/magenta hue.
Now this doesn't detract from the fact that they are good images of the birds, (in fact a very nice study of them), but whether it is through processing or light variations I don't know but definitely different and I doubt it's a natural difference in the actual feathers :)

....This is not the first time that your colour views and mine have differed. I grant you that the backgrounds have a slight variation in lightness/darkness but the colour hues match each other.

As said previously, the bird's apparent plumage colours will always vary due to their iridescence - The angle of light which strikes their feathers. You see this in nearly all birds which have black plumage. It sounds as if you don't accept natural differences in feather colours - Please consider the structure of a feather and therefore how the effect is modelled when struck by light. There is also plumage colour differences in individual birds of the same species but these two shots are of the same individual. Plumage colours also change according to degree of wetness as I am sure you already know - This bird is wet and that introduces another natural lighting factor.

Two different birds also

....This is not the first time that your colour views and mine have differed. I grant you that the backgrounds have a slight variation in lightness/darkness but the colour hues match each other.

As said previously, the bird's apparent plumage colours will always vary due to their iridescence - The angle of light which strikes their feathers. You see this in nearly all birds which have black plumage. It sounds as if you don't accept natural differences in feather colours - Please consider the structure of a feather and therefore how the effect is modelled when struck by light. There is also plumage colour differences in individual birds of the same species but these two shots are of the same individual. Plumage colours also change according to degree of wetness as I am sure you already know - This bird is wet and that introduces another natural lighting factor.

Sorry if I sound pedantic Robin, but looking at Mikes post these are two different birds.

I have had a new computer this week and I'm now using a DVI? connections over the old VGA one and I'm seeing some differences in my own photos, not sure if related. As an example I have been taking some pics this week and when looking at them and adjusting in LR the settings are very different to previous VGA set-up, so not sure if the Graphics card or DVI connection is making a difference. This maybe the case here between different monitors/computers?

Last edited:
Sorry if I sound pedantic Robin, but looking at Mikes post these are two different birds.

I have had a new computer this week and I'm now using a DVI? connections over the old VGA one and I'm seeing some differences in my own photos, not sure if related. As an example I have been taking some pics this week and when looking at them and adjusting in LR the settings are very different to previous VGA set-up, so not sure if the Graphics card or DVI connection is making a difference. This maybe the case here between different monitors/computers?

....Ah, I hadn't realised they were two different birds. No problem discussing this - I can be wrong. However, I still stand by my comment that feather iridescence varies according to the lighting and wetness.

I think, without being an expert on this, that there will almost certainly be a visual difference due to VGA / DVI / HDMI connections.

....Ah, I hadn't realised they were two different birds. No problem discussing this - I can be wrong. However, I still stand by my comment that feather iridescence varies according to the lighting and wetness.

I think, without being an expert on this, that there will almost certainly be a visual difference due to VGA / DVI / HDMI connections.

Yes it what I'm seeing. With old set-up I would usually up the noise slider to 25-30, now I'm seeing a lot more noise and been doubling up. The DVI is showing me a lot more detail I pressume, hence the adjustments.

Many thanks again everyone. They are indeed two different birds and as I shoot in jpeg only they are pretty much straight out of camera re colour difference if that helps. I was photographing them today and they actually looked black in the light I was working in.

At first I thought the differences may be due to iridescence. See how the colour of a mallard's head can vary from dark blue to green.

However the beak and legs also reflect a blue-ish light, so there may be a white balance issue here?

....I think you are referring to Kodiak QC's version in Reply #4. Mike's original posted images don't have that blue-ish light.

Back