Front garden safari

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
My front garden is so small, that if I removed all the plants then only 2 or maybe 3 people could be there and social distance at the same time.
Despite that all these are from it, so make space for nature, particularly if you have a sunny spot
Conopid fly
ConopidflyIMG_1280 by davholla2002, on Flickr

Conopid Fly IMG_2577 by davholla2002, on Flickr

Dock bug

DockbugIMG_1271 by davholla2002, on Flickr

Cuckoo bee Nomada goodeniana
CuckoobeeIMG_1346 by davholla2002, on Flickr

Its host I assume Andrena nigroaenea.

Mining_beeIMG_1223 by davholla2002, on Flickr

Hoverfly larva - I rarely see the adults in my front garden (maybe too much competition from the bees?)

Hoverfly larva, IMG_2603 by davholla2002, on Flickr

My front garden is so small, that if I removed all the plants then only 2 or maybe 3 people could be there
It just goes to prove if you think about what you are doing its easy to attract a wide variety of subjects.

Cracking set David

It just goes to prove if you think about what you are doing its easy to attract a wide variety of subjects.

Cracking set David
Thank you
Actually it was more good luck to be honest. I planted soft fruit there (with a variety of success, highly recommend white currants), privet hedge for stick insects, eucalyptus, snow drops and the ivy is from next door (which provides the aphids for the hover flies). Just chance that the mining bees like it, I am hoping to put a bee hotel in the future.
Soft fruit is great for bees and white currants just need to be planted and you get fruit.

The top two are the Conpid Sicus ferruginea. Their larve are internal parasites of bimblebbees, so the adult flies lay eggs in the fur of the bee by dive bombing them as they visit flowers. But this one looks like it is a male.

The top two are the Conpid Sicus ferruginea. Their larve are internal parasites of bimblebbees, so the adult flies lay eggs in the fur of the bee by dive bombing them as they visit flowers. But this one looks like it is a male.
Thanks a lot for that - could they be parasites of solitary bees as well? I rarely see bumblebees in the front garden but they are lots of solitary bees.
Would it be worth irecording this?

No, the recorded hosts of this species are Bunbles. But solitary bees have lots of parasites I'm not an expert on bees, but I think your 4th photo down is a Nomada species. This is a bee which is a cleptoparasiyte on solutary bees - i.e. it lays its eggs in their nest burrow and its larvae steals the food store the owner collected for its offspring. Recording schemes always welcome records, so contact the Conopid Recording Scheme - dave.clements1@ntworld.com - I expect Dave would want to check the photo for ID and would need the date and location (preferable with a detailed grid reference).

No, the recorded hosts of this species are Bunbles. But solitary bees have lots of parasites I'm not an expert on bees, but I think your 4th photo down is a Nomada species. This is a bee which is a cleptoparasiyte on solutary bees - i.e. it lays its eggs in their nest burrow and its larvae steals the food store the owner collected for its offspring. Recording schemes always welcome records, so contact the Conopid Recording Scheme - dave.clements1@ntworld.com - I expect Dave would want to check the photo for ID and would need the date and location (preferable with a detailed grid reference).
Thanks for that it is, Nomada goodeniana

Nice set David, the Thick-headed fly is the standout bug for me. ;)

I think these look very much like Myopa testacea looking at the pattern head (white), black thorax in front of the scutellum and the leg patterns. Sicus ferruginea has a plain yellow head and plain legs I think. But I am no expert.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think these look very much like Myopa testacea looking at the pattern head (white), black thorax in front of the scutellum and the leg patterns. Sicus ferruginea has a plain yellow head and plain legs I think. But I am no expert.
Bearing in mind that Myopa testacea is a parasite on solitary bees - that seems to make more sense.

Back