Getting THE shot

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
No
Agree with it's politics or not the Guardian does give phootgraphy space and coverage.

Fascinating article on how a photographer thinks and works to get what could turn out to be a genuinely iconic picture.

And an art critic's interpretation of it.

There's another shot somewhere that appears to show the bullet just before it (allegedly?) grazed the ear.

Thought I had imagined it for a while (couldn't find it in my history!) but it's HERE!

It will become an iconic shot. IMO though, it's more likely to be the air disturbance/trail left by the bullet.

I could be wrong, but at (roughly) 4000fps, the bullet would be long gone.

4,000 fps shot at 1/4,000s would show a one foot trail - about what appears in the shot from the Telegraph article.

The story behind the Guardian shot is more interesting though, IMO.

from the war in Vietnam for example.

Touching on this, the badly burned girl, running away from the site of a napalm attack is one of the most iconic ever I believe.

I won't share it here, it's pretty horrific but I think you'll know the one I mean.

Touching on this, the badly burned girl, running away from the site of a napalm attack is one of the most iconic ever I believe.

I won't share it here, it's pretty horrific but I think you'll know the one I mean.

Absolutely agree, I purposely chose not to be too specific.

Another obvious choice would likely be The Soldiers of Iwo Jima (1945), raising the US flag.

Last edited:
The soldiers on Iwo Jima had similar elements in the picture. An angular flag pole, a flag and a group of people leaning and moving forward. Different meaning though, they portrayed a hard won victory while Trump portrayed defiance and determination.

The positioning of the flag on the Trump photo was almost too perfect (I do think it is real though).

I've seen the flag in one video. Something large fell to the right of Trump as they were taking down the shooter so it might be that the flag wasn't exactly where it was meant to be.

Evan Vucci took the picture. He is chief photographer with Associated Press so I really doubt there was any creative editing.

Last edited:
Lots of photos show the flag. It's high above the podium so would only show in photos taken close in when taken from a low angle. It's angle in the photo is a combination of the photographer's position and the effect of the wind.

2024-07-16_080139.jpg

The Russian soldiers raising their flag over the Reichstag has got to be up there. Legend has it that the darkroom operator 'removed' looted watches that were visible on their wrists to save them from punishment.

I am a big fan of Ansel Adams who knew how to create iconic images. His book 'The Camera' is essential reading in that respect. Dorothea Lang was another one.

Back