Giant fly

Name
Derek
Edit My Images
Yes
No not really a giant, just a small garden fly, that stayed put long enough for me to faff around trying to get a few shots of him.
I started off at my usual level of magnification, and finished up at my max as it just stayed still, till I was done and then flew off.
Pentax k1 + bellows at full ext, Lester A Dine 105mm dental macro, raynox dcr 250, kx 800 twin flash.
Iso 400, f11 , 1/200th single shot, handheld

Found it very tricky trying to keep it in frame at this level of magnification, had quite a few with half a fly in and out of focus,

Uncropped, image

IMGP9317edsm by dr.shutter, on Flickr

Cropped

IMGP9317ed2sm by dr.shutter, on Flickr

Final edit

Come a little closer by dr.shutter, on Flickr

Very impressive shots, maybe stacking would have improved these a little to bring the front of the fly into focus.

Very impressive shots, maybe stacking would have improved these a little to bring the front of the fly into focus.
If I had managed to get 1 with the front in focus, I might have tried stacking, but they seemed to be focused dead on or towards the wings, as I said, I struggled to keep it in frame, I was just glad I had one in frame and in focus

If I had managed to get 1 with the front in focus, I might have tried stacking, but they seemed to be focused dead on or towards the wings, as I said, I struggled to keep it in frame, I was just glad I had one in frame and in focus
Fair enough

Back