Giant Willow Aphids

Gav.

Challenge Owner
Name
Gav
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi

Our little willow tree is covered in Giant Willow Aphids, I got a few shots, I struggled with these, partly due to the numbers and where they are.

I'm guessing they are making the most of the warmth and have had a head start on the predators that normally feed on them, I'm yet to see any Ladybirds etc.. Hopefully our local Blue Tits will feed on them?

Thanks for looking :)

Giant Willow Aphid (1)
by Gavin Wickham, on Flickr

Giant Willow Aphid (2)

Giant Willow Aphid (3)

Nicely captured Gav :)

Nice shots! What lens? Maybe you can get some giant lady beetles to feast on the giant aphids...

Great bugs them m8 (y)

Paul.
Thanks Paul :) My first time seeing these ones
Nicely captured Gav :)
Thank you Chris :)
Nice shots! What lens? Maybe you can get some giant lady beetles to feast on the giant aphids...
Thanks Jeff :) Sorry I always forget the details ... let hope something turns up :)

Canon 90D - Laowa 100mm Macro 2x - Twin Godox flash heads
Manual focus at maximum 2:1
1/250 with flash
ISO 200
F10-F15

Gav

Lovely bug shots- I have not used my macro lens for over a year- time to dust it off maybe :)

Well done with such small subjects.

I wondered if there might be more detail that could be made visible with some tweaking. Obviously if you did decide to make any changes it would be for you to decide how the image should look - that is a very personal thing . But I think this experiment with a screen grab of one of the images indicates that there might be some potential here.

NOT MY IMAGE - Giant Willow Aphid (3) by Gav-canon adjusted by gardenersassistant, on Flickr

Last edited:
Well done with such small subjects.

I wondered if there might be more detail that could be made visible with some tweaking. Obviously if you did decide to make any changes it would be for you to decide how the image should look - that is a very personal thing . But I think this experiment with a screen grab of one of the images indicates that there might be some potential here.

NOT MY IMAGE - Giant Willow Aphid (3) by Gav-canon adjusted by gardenersassistant, on Flickr
Thank you, I'm still getting my head around the software side of things, thanks for the edit, could I ask how you tweaked it?

Thank you, I'm still getting my head around the software side of things, thanks for the edit, could I ask how you tweaked it?
I used Lightroom. Basically I made the lighter areas not so light and made the darker areas not so dark. To do this I used the sliders shown below in the red outlined area on the right.

Pulling down the sliders for Whites (the very brightest areas) and Highlights (the bright but not brightest areas) while simultaneously pulling up the sliders for the Blacks (the very darkest areas) and Shadows (the dark but not darkest areas), and moving all the sliders a long way like I did here, tends to "flatten" the look of the image, and I increased the Contrast slider a bit to try to compensate for that. It is still lower contrast overall than I think many people would prefer, and because of that lower contrast it may lack the stronger visual impact that a higher contrast can produce. However, many people seem to have a higher tolerance than I do for very dark/black areas in their images and very light/white areas. For an image of a dark insect on a light background I think you have to accept such darkness and/or lightness if you want to avoid the flatter look.

I think post processing is very much a matter of personal taste and over time we can each develop our own preferred "look" for our images. Mine happens to be quite restrained in terms contrast, colours and immediate visual impact. Your mileage may very well vary. I don't think there is any "right" way.

Gav-canon aphid, global adjustments and editing history in Lightroom by gardenersassistant, on Flickr

Notice the history of what I did, shown in the green outlined area on the left. I had five attempts at this, each time producing an adjusted version to compare with the posted version and also compare with previous attempts. For me at least, post processing isn't a matter of knowing what I want to achieve and knowing exactly what combination of sliders to use to achieve it. Making adjustments is a "try it and see how it looks" thing for me. I'm sure some people can visualise what they want and go straight to what they want to get to. I can't. I don't know what I like until I see it. So I wouldn't worry and get put off post processing if it seems pretty hit and miss, especially to start with. As with photographing small subjects, experience can make things fall into place.

Those adjustments were global adjustments, affecting the whole image. I also made a local adjustment. In the area shown in red inside the green oval I turned down the Highlights a bit more and also turned down the Exposure slider, which reduced the lightness in the selected area.

Gav-canon aphid, local adjustment in Lightroom by gardenersassistant, on Flickr

I used Lightroom. Basically I made the lighter areas not so light and made the darker areas not so dark. To do this I used the sliders shown below in the red outlined area on the right.

Pulling down the sliders for Whites (the very brightest areas) and Highlights (the bright but not brightest areas) while simultaneously pulling up the sliders for the Blacks (the very darkest areas) and Shadows (the dark but not darkest areas), and moving all the sliders a long way like I did here, tends to "flatten" the look of the image, and I increased the Contrast slider a bit to try to compensate for that. It is still lower contrast overall than I think many people would prefer, and because of that lower contrast it may lack the stronger visual impact that a higher contrast can produce. However, many people seem to have a higher tolerance than I do for very dark/black areas in their images and very light/white areas. For an image of a dark insect on a light background I think you have to accept such darkness and/or lightness if you want to avoid the flatter look.

I think post processing is very much a matter of personal taste and over time we can each develop our own preferred "look" for our images. Mine happens to be quite restrained in terms contrast, colours and immediate visual impact. Your mileage may very well vary. I don't think there is any "right" way.

Gav-canon aphid, global adjustments and editing history in Lightroom by gardenersassistant, on Flickr

Notice the history of what I did, shown in the green outlined area on the left. I had five attempts at this, each time producing an adjusted version to compare with the posted version and also compare with previous attempts. For me at least, post processing isn't a matter of knowing what I want to achieve and knowing exactly what combination of sliders to use to achieve it. Making adjustments is a "try it and see how it looks" thing for me. I'm sure some people can visualise what they want and go straight to what they want to get to. I can't. I don't know what I like until I see it. So I wouldn't worry and get put off post processing if it seems pretty hit and miss, especially to start with. As with photographing small subjects, experience can make things fall into place.

Those adjustments were global adjustments, affecting the whole image. I also made a local adjustment. In the area shown in red inside the green oval I turned down the Highlights a bit more and also turned down the Exposure slider, which reduced the lightness in the selected area.

Gav-canon aphid, local adjustment in Lightroom by gardenersassistant, on Flickr
Nice one, thank you for the very detailed reply, really appreciate the time you've taken, I will keep this in mind :) I've found myself going back to images from a little while ago a re-doing them as I find new ways of doing things.

Thank again (y)

Nice one, thank you for the very detailed reply, really appreciate the time you've taken, I will keep this in mind :) I've found myself going back to images from a little while ago a re-doing them as I find new ways of doing things.
I do that. And not just with recent ones. I have a post lined up with some images I've reworked from June last year. I dip back much further than that sometimes.
Thank again (y)
You are very welcome. :)

Back