Good book to learn from?

Edit My Images
No
Hi Guys

Just got a new camera,Fuji S 7000 and am finding all the different dials and settings a bit bewildering.
I've had great results using point and shoot,but I do want to learn how to use the camera to it's best ability,so I'm asking if you guys can recommend a good book which explains all the dials and settings and how to use them in laymans terms.

I wandered into W.H.Smiths on Saturday and was confronted by dozens of books all basically saying the same thing but with vastly different layouts.
I don't want to be spending up to £20 for a book which disappoints so I thought I would ask if you could point me in the right direction.

Cheers
John.

I would recommend looking on Amazon & seeing what reviews / scores people give. One example of good feedback is for this book

DJW said:
I would recommend looking on Amazon & seeing what reviews / scores people give. One example of good feedback is for this book

I have this book and bought it before I purchased my DSLR.
I can highly recommend it.
When I got the camera and manual in my hands it all made sense.

Thanks Dave and Bachs

Had a look at the reviews for the book you advised,looks just what I need to get me started.

John.

That looks like an excellent book and I reckon you definitely need a handy work of reference, particularly in the early days. While you're waiting for your book you can have a look through this thread which explains the basics of DOF, the relationship between shutter speed and aperture, and safe hand holding shutter speeds for various lens focal lengths. :)

http://www.thephotographyforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1588

Additionally this month's Practical Photography magazine has a very useful booklet all about D-SLRs; how to set a white balance, use of filters, exposure modes and so on.

....& next months (Dec) Digitial Photo magazine will include a handbook for those new to DSLR

Back