GOOD OLD CHARITY SHOPS AGAIN

Name
Peter
Edit My Images
Yes
Caught my local charity shop today just putting out a box of 35mm compact cameras, about 25 in the box. Had a rummage through and bought six of the best ones.
I got.

A mint, looks unused Olympus AZ1 zoom. big chunky camera this complete with soft pouch.

A mint Olympus MJU 1 also with it's original pouch.

A Pentax espio 120 Mi also in unused condition and also with soft pouch

And the jewel in the crown a Yashica T5 also in perfect condition this compact has I have heard one of the sharpest lenses on a compact, being the Carl Zeiss Tessar T. Again in its soft leather pouch.

Cost was £1 each.

I have had a fiddle and all seem to be working as they should, I popped an old film in each one and they all wind on, the flashes work and they all wind back at the end. Will get a few 24 exp films and give them a proper try, I do hope the T5 is OK it's worth about £60.

Wife did ask the silly question "why do you want them" to which of course there is no answere.:clap:

do you feel ok about doing that ? with it being a charity shop and all that....

reason i ask, i bought a record (lp) from an oxfam a couple of years back. i paid 2 quid for it, and i knew it was worth about 50.

my missus made me feel really guilty for ages

"do you feel comfy about doing it?" Yes I wouldn't have an issue....... If worth £50, no way are they going to sell it at that in a shop. People including chriities need ot wise up on true value of items, often many bargains, why els edo people go to chrity shops and loads of tat that you couldn't flog at a car boot sale......

Have often picked up golfing bargains at chairty shops - have mentioned to them, maybe ebay could be a more lucrative avenue, but they apparantly are not allowed to pay to sell their goods - however having bloody massive overheads by having a shop doesn't count...........

Yes I feel quite comfy as in the past I have offered my meager expertese on cameras, binoculars, Mah Jong sets and the like. asking them to contact me before pricing them so they can get the best deal.
They treated me I am afraid as if I was just trying to jump the gun on the best items and politely refused my help.
The paid staff have access to the internet as do I and it's quite easy to check prices.
I notice that a few "mostly down south" charity shops do use eBay and I have bought from them, paying a competitive price.

I totally agree with DUNKS, the staff can check the prices like the rest of us and price theur items accordinly.
By the way charities are overrated, most of their income goes to admin fees anyways, believe me I know.
Enjoy them mate and if you once in a while donate something to the same charity, that should nake up for your bargains.

Have often picked up golfing bargains at chairty shops - have mentioned to them, maybe ebay could be a more lucrative avenue, but they apparantly are not allowed to pay to sell their goods - however having bloody massive overheads by having a shop doesn't count...........

I think you'll find they do sell on Ebay, the British Heart Foundation has an ebay store, always a few cameras on there...............maybe they are starting to wise up

By the way charities are overrated, most of their income goes to admin fees anyways, believe me I know.

I have a funny feeling that comment may cause some back lash but from experience, I have to agree, or at least for the ones I know about.

I have no problem with getting bargains from charity shops. Saying that they didn't pay for the items in the first place so anything they get is a bonus is a little bit harsh to say but true. I think most would be thankful just for the custom, and as many have said, they could quite easily check prices themselves.

Maybe a better question to ask yourself would be, if charity shops bumped their prices up to high street shop level, in all honesty would you still bother going in them?

Back