Gopro or dji

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm looking for an action camera for an upcoming holiday.
Will be used for snorkeling so will be buying waterproof housing, and also some vlogging type filming.

I'm really torn between which one to buy, as there's so many mixed reviews out there.

Has anyone got hands on experience, and are there any problems to be wise of? Overheating and the likes.

The trip is in just short of 7 weeks, so looking to make a move sooner rather than later.

Any help would be appreciated

The newer go-pros are famous for overheating, Plus theres a new DJI out which looks really good. Bigger sensor, lot better in low light I'm told.

The dji action 4 does look better on paper and in most reviews, but there's been reports of overheating problems as well.
It's this which bothers me more, as I'm expecting around 40c highs.

Is over heating really that much on an issue? I guess once it's cooled down you're good to go again.

It's our first family trip abroad and I'd hate to miss out on documenting it, due to poor tech.

I use a gopro 11 occasionally for work. I dread using it, the menus are difficult to navigate, it's glitchy, not very reliable and the image quality is always disappointing. It has never overheated though. I haven't used the the DJI action 4 but use DJI drones a lot and using them is the exact opposite of using gopros the drones are reliable, easy to use and the image quality is always better than I expect.

I will probably swap over to DJI when the Action 5 comes out and I think DJI will kill off gopro eventually.

If you are running any camera flat out recording high res, high frame rates in full sun you run the risk of overheating issues, I think it's easy to manage these issues though.

If I was in the market for an action cam today I would get the Action 4.

Andrew HATFIELD | Architectural and Interior Photographer

For context, my video is mostly band stuff in UK temperatures, but in usually stuffy, hot rehearsal rooms. With the DJI Action 4 running 4k 25fps, usually I'm running it constantly for a 3 hour session with no issues (I usually have to pop in a second battery for the last half hour or so though). When I change the battery the camera is barely warm to touch. I think the biggest plus for me though, has been the recent update for it to connect to the DJI mic 2 (which you might find handy for vlogging). Seamless connection, 32bit float backup file, and just really good quality sound.

Obviously your use case isn't my use case, but I've been seriously impressed.

Sounding like Dji is the way to go

The overheating is only an issue when doing high frame rates

The magnetic mounting system on the dji is great, and overall it’s a better system, but there is just something about the go pro image quality I like, if the action 4 performs better in low light then the go pro performs better in strong light, for some reason the go pro colour just pops and the lens is a lot less wide, the dji feels too wide a lot of the time for general filming

I have the GoPro Hero 10. People say there's a problem with it overheating and I did wonder about it when I bought it. But I've had no overheating issues since getting it. But it doesn't seem to turn on randomly and I have to take the battery out and when I turn it back on it says I have to put the date and time in, and it drives me crazy. I'ts said it's overheated.

Back