Got breakfast

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
Breakfast is served.

This early morning orb spider has gotten her fill for the day..

1200fedup.jpg

Paul.

Another good capture, Paul...lighting looks a bit flat though, did you use flash or was it natural light?

Speaking of flash, how do you rate the Yongnuo YN14EX Ringflash?, I'm looking to buy one and with it being considerably cheaper than the Canon version I was wondering if it will be money well spent?

Thanks

Andy...

Another good capture, Paul...lighting looks a bit flat though, did you use flash or was it natural light?

Speaking of flash, how do you rate the Yongnuo YN14EX Ringflash?, I'm looking to buy one and with it being considerably cheaper than the Canon version I was wondering if it will be money well spent?

Thanks

Andy...

Both on this Andy - some sun and my flash too.

As for the ring flash, it's what I use and I like it.

:)

Paul

Thanks for the info, Paul...it's appreciated (y)

Re the Yongnuo YN14EX Ringflash, I've just ordered one, if your superb images are anything to go by, then it's a good bit of kit.

Think I'd better take a crash course in Flash Control :eek:

You'll have to make some sort of diffusion for it - there are lots of different ones made by the lads and lasses here.

In the top fixed thread Andy - there is even a picture of mine in there somewhere...

Paul

Just found your post, Paul...looks like I need some curved foam and a poly plate, will get searching at the weekend :)

The plazzy milk bottle can be used in slices and layers. One other two - I used 2 I think.

Paul.

Nice shot Paul, and good to see some of the surroundings.(y)

George.

Thanks Paul, that's a great idea, once the flash is delivered I'll knock up some templates and get cracking (y)

Lovely clarity Paul. Clever exposure - 1/13 sec to pick up the background, and some flash to sharpen up the subject. Very nicely done.

Was that hand held? (The risk of ghosting - which I'm not seeing any of btw - holds me back from such slow exposures for mixed lighting. But that has worked a treat, so perhaps I should loosen up a bit. Very instructive.)

Last edited:
Nick - at my age hand holding is a thing of the past. Nearly everything I do is tripod mounted. Takes time to get to some subjects which also leads to missed opportunities but it does mean generally sharp results.

The flash us always useful for shadows even in good sunlight.

Paul.

Nick - at my age hand holding is a thing of the past. Nearly everything I do is tripod mounted. Takes time to get to some subjects which also leads to missed opportunities but it does mean generally sharp results.

The flash us always useful for shadows even in good sunlight.

Paul.

Thanks Paul. That is interesting. I have, at least for now, gone in the opposite direction. I used to use a tripod almost all the time, but now I work hand-held most of the time. There's a trade-off which you'll be well aware of between losing shots because of the time needed to set up the tripod versus shots lost when working hand-held from poor focus/subject not well framed (or not even fully in the frame). I have been experimenting with using a steadying stick - much quicker to set up than a tripod and quite flexible in use. (Well, the stick doesn't flex, but it is very flexible in terms of quickly changing the position/distance/angle of view. It's a bit of a drag carrying it around though - well, "them" actually, of different lengths. I've only used them in our garden so far.)

These days I've been using flash almost exclusively (for insects and spiders - not for flowers) whereas several years ago I used natural light almost all the time. I need to get to a better balance with that too, which is what made this shot of yours so interesting for me.

Thanks Paul. That is interesting. I have, at least for now, gone in the opposite direction. I used to use a tripod almost all the time, but now I work hand-held most of the time. There's a trade-off which you'll be well aware of between losing shots because of the time needed to set up the tripod versus shots lost when working hand-held from poor focus/subject not well framed (or not even fully in the frame). I have been experimenting with using a steadying stick - much quicker to set up than a tripod and quite flexible in use. (Well, the stick doesn't flex, but it is very flexible in terms of quickly changing the position/distance/angle of view. It's a bit of a drag carrying it around though - well, "them" actually, of different lengths. I've only used them in our garden so far.)

These days I've been using flash almost exclusively (for insects and spiders - not for flowers) whereas several years ago I used natural light almost all the time. I need to get to a better balance with that too, which is what made this shot of yours so interesting for me.

Finding the right light is always a bugger in the garden for me - no clouds is a pain - moving clouds are a pain! Sometimes I can't get it right and end up losing out completely. Occasionally it works out well - and as a further aside - I usually use manual all the way - not so often do I use AV mode with the flash on...

Paul.

Finding the right light is always a bugger in the garden for me - no clouds is a pain - moving clouds are a pain!

Yes, good natural light is difficult to find - no clouds, horribly deep shadows. Too many clouds, too slow shutter speeds (which even applies with tripod work if there is a breeze) and/or too high ISO. Doesn't seem to matter too much for flowers (for me at least), but for insects etc it can be very difficult. I suppose I'm taking the easy way out with flash.

I usually use manual all the way - not so often do I use AV mode with the flash on...

With flash I use Manual exposure mode and manual flash exposure. There's no choice about that with the KX800 of course, but I actually prefer being fully manual with flash. I found Av and TTL metering too unpredictable, too changeable from shot to shot. At least with fully manual once I have the level right for a scene I can just keep shooting and not get messed about with flash levels jumping around. I use Av for natural light work with flowers and larger, sunny day insects like butterflies.

Back