Green Lacewing nymph

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
Spotted this little 'un - not sure but I think it's only the second time I have found one in the garden.

lacenymph_4k_1800PNG-X3.png

lacenymph0_4k_1800PNG-X3.png

lacenymph2_4k_1800PNG-X3.png

lacenymph1_4k_1800PNG-X3.png

Paul.

Nice Paul. very nice (y)
I assume that its deliberately carrying the camouflage ?

Nice Paul. very nice (y)
I assume that its deliberately carrying the camouflage ?

Yes indeed Chris.

Lacewing larvae (Neuroptera: Chrysopidae) are colloquially known as “junk bugs” due to their propensity for piling rubbish upon their backs. Environmental debris like lichen, moss, and dirt are popular choices, but they will sometimes even add the carcasses of their prey to the load. These junk piles disguise the lacewing larvae, camouflaging them both visually and chemically from potential predators. On this one there is what looks like a thin strand of something - almost like a piece of string among all that clutter!

Lacewing larvae (Neuroptera: Chrysopidae) are colloquially known as “junk bugs” due to their propensity for piling rubbish upon their backs.
Cool (y)

Nice set Paul I have not seen one for a while

Fascinating!

Makes me think I should look more closely at junk (of which I find a lot lying around at higher magnifications) and not dismiss it instantly without looking carefully.

It was always on the move Nick, so I think you'd like as not spot it ambling if you do come across one.

Paul.

Back