Head torch

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
Yes
An essential bit of kit for night and astro photography is of course a head torch.

I had a really nice LED one that I got from a shop somewhere in the Lake District, and which cast a useful wide field of red light. Unfortunately it disappeared, my suspicions lying with my daughter's working cocker spaniel, who has a tendency to pick up anything that isn't nailed down and go and bury it in the garden. The garden has been searched, but we suspect the torch is in the same place as my wife's secateurs, a slipper for the left foot, a screwdriver and some socks. We just haven't found yet where she keeps her stolen goods.

The upshot of all this is that I need a new head torch and I was just wondering what other people use.

Oh, and does anyone want a cocker spaniel?

I have one of these, a great little head torch. USB chargeable and a dedicated button to go into red mode.

I've had a Petzl for about 15 years and it's still running perfectly. It's pretty basic (adjustable angle, takes 3 x AAA batteries and has several output settings) but they offer a range of far more sophisticated models now.

I've a petzl one-A tikkina I think. I go camping a bit and dabble in astro and the batteries (3x AAA) last ages. Mine doesn't have a red light so may invest in the next model up which does

My current fav is an energiser (green one) I cant remember the model, but's got the useful feature of red light first, then after about 5 seconds next click turns it off, Or you just click through red to get to the white options I think 300 or 400 lm? It's about £12 I think.
You can also get cheap ebay ones with the handy red one side and white other side of the switch so provided you can remember you get the choice of red or white first.
Personally I hate having to cycle through 3 or 4 white setting to get to red, thats your night vision gone for a start.

Just found this review.
Ive got a couple of sofirn torches and found them well built. Seems a bargain for £20 including the 18650 battery.

It’s for preserving night vision. Takes your eye less time to adjust from dark to the red light and back.

Petzl (y)

I've had mine a few years and don't think I've changed batteries in it yet!
Petzl Aktik Core here (bought just as the new even brighter model was released) still happy with 450 lumens on "stun" (against 600 on the new one)

Fenix, built like tanks.

Petzl Aktik Core here (bought just as the new even brighter model was released) still happy with 450 lumens on "stun" (against 600 on the new one)

I'm not sure what mine is or how bright. It's bright enough though for night hikes and night photography. I also have a Fenix torch. Both have gels on the front to warm the light a little bit.

Back