HELP - Loading 120 Film!

BOM

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Guys,

I'm loading my first ever 120 roll.

The spool runs from right to left on this camera, I've got it fitted into the intake spool, wound it forward until I saw an Arrow (Pointing downwards). I've rolled it on a bit further but no numbers have appeared in my little red windows.

Should I keep rolling it? Are the numbers printed on the top and bottom of the film? Are there any numbers at all? If not how do I know how far to roll it on?

Cheers,
BOM.

The numbers are usually in 3 places on the film, to enable viewing in all cameras, you probably havnt wound it enough, there is usually quite a long leader.

Dave.

Keep going. It usually feels like you are winding on about three miles of leader.

Steve.

Excellent, just found the no 1, it came after some more arrows and some pretty circles, now just need to find out if the number should be in the 1st or second window :D

Now you've got there you need to know that it now feels like there is only 1/8" between frames.

i.e. wind on slowly as it's easy to overshoot the next number.

If the camera has two windows then it was probably designed to take either eight 6x9cm frames or sixteen 6x4.5cm frames. For the smaller frame it will need to be fitted with a mask - these usually went missing years ago.

If it is set up for 6x9 format then use the first window.

p.s. what camera is it?

Steve.

Right, I think its the first red window and I stick with that as its a 6x9. I believe I use the second window for a smaller format where I use each number twice, once in each window.

Wish me luck, I'm off to take some pics :D

I added to my post as you were writing yours.

Yes, if it's 6x9 then use the first window only.

Steve.

Just taken 4 shots but made the obvious mistake of forgetting to wind it on for one of them so I'm expecting a weird over exposed shot combing a ferret and a 69 vw truck :LOL:

I dont think its any of those as they all have identities on the shutter body, this one doesnt.

The camera manufacturers did not usually mark the shutters. These will always show the shutter manufacturer's details only. Also, some models of camera may be fitted with slightly differing lenses over time but the model name may remain the same.

If it's a Franka, which seems most likely at the moment, it would have FW somewhere on it. Obviously the missing bit of covering doesn't help as sometimes the make and/or model is embossed into this.

Steve.

Franka does certainly get the closest match, however I cant find an image that shares the same winder button, compur shutter and matching trigger button. But by the sounds of it they were rather prolifick with their production and distribution methods.

It does have a serial number on the back of the shutter, do you know if this is traceable?

It does have a serial number on the back of the shutter, do you know if this is traceable?

Not much use as the camera manufacturer and the lens manufacturer are not the same. You quite often see these folding cameras on ebay advertised by a seller who doesn't know any better with the shutter manufacturer in the description as the make.

This is fair enough as that's where I would put my name if I was making one. I suspect the clue you need is on that missing piece of body covering!

Steve.

I was wondering if the serial number would at least be related to a batch and possibly who that batch was sold to, or maybe at least the year the shutter was made.

I guess its not really worth the effort, I'll just enjoy it for what it is :)

I must admit I initially thought it was called a Compur until I started investigating it further.

Back