Critique Help please

@Terrywoodenpic Terry that's a cool little post loadsa info thanks for chiming in(y)
Probably the only thing I didn't overlook despite my sensor carnage was the lens being clean it was actually checked in the field that day just in case.only 'cause I've learnt the hard way, sadly

Lens hood is preddy substantial on the 400 DOii. I hear ya mate but there is no way I could had hold that and the" brick" ( my 1DX mark ii) with one hand...that bit kinda made me smile ;)

I know exactly what you mean about the sun.my next outing didn't work out quite as planned with the hares.......nearly but not quite...so I didn't get to make the hoped for set of images building on the lads wisdom bestowed here.......I did get tangled up with some roe though.( as is my lot).................. trying to shoot one of the bucks against the sunset did indeed throw in a lot more problems.

That said for me it's all good I guess back lit will always appeal to me artistically anyways..but more than that.when one really grafts at one subject for many years, backlit right under late sun widens my portfolio of brown hare tis something a smidge different to what I already have and not terribly easy to aquire.

Terry this whole thread is a joy for me.................. bless ya for adding to it

stu
The Hand works best as a shade when using a tripod. But on shorter lenses it can work.
The other way is to put your whole self, camera and all, under the shade of something like a tree or hedge row. Makes you less conspicuous too. Need the instincts of a sniper. Keep down and light off the glass.

I basically am a sniper Terry I just carry a camera not a gun,my base back story is a lifetime of wanting to be close to a beastie and moving to do that rather than waiting although I'm not advesrse to waiting . I just make more pics by stalking.camera is a much newer fing,it's just replaced a paint brush so I spend more time in the field with me icle beasties rather than being stuck in room painting pics of 'em.

So, i utterly understand the use of shade to hide me ............IE to allow me to move unseen, I'm not trying to avoid lens flare, i just want to learn how work with it, as it brings something different to the huge body of images I already have aquired.

Terry after a while of bumbling about with wildlife image making doing what I call "trainspotting" random species random places. I felt I'd learn more if I fixated for a while on few species. The fact that I'm sort of besotted with Lepus europeas is in part incidental. My base mindset was and still is at some point I'll have hundreds of images of the same subject ( probably we best add noughts to that but We'll stay base 100's.at that point more and more if I want to continue my journey the sheer body of work will push me towards finding something new something different...................... imagwise
so whilst I understand how pin sharp and detail might effect another and make 'em want to shade a lens for me those images are just an extension of my learning curve.

I sort of walk the slow road Terry Mike bless him has been chipping away at me for years....My base hope is during all this I'll build a skillset and then be able to transfer those skills to other species, but I'm not very bright so these things take time.......... by skillset it isn't just the images tis learning how to get to a hare with utterly no cover how to read it draw a deer to me with shutter noise.....all manner of little things I have a much better understanding of now and hopefully will transfer to other species when the time comes

Does that sort of get across why lens fare isn't something I'd avoid ................more something to cherish?

stu

I basically am a sniper Terry I just carry a camera not a gun,my base back story is a lifetime of wanting to be close to a beastie and moving to do that rather than waiting although I'm not advesrse to waiting . I just make more pics by stalking.camera is a much newer fing,it's just replaced a paint brush so I spend more time in the field with me icle beasties rather than being stuck in room painting pics of 'em.

So, i utterly understand the use of shade to hide me ............IE to allow me to move unseen, I'm not trying to avoid lens flare, i just want to learn how work with it, as it brings something different to the huge body of images I already have aquired.

Terry after a while of bumbling about with wildlife image making doing what I call "trainspotting" random species random places. I felt I'd learn more if I fixated for a while on few species. The fact that I'm sort of besotted with Lepus europeas is in part incidental. My base mindset was and still is at some point I'll have hundreds of images of the same subject ( probably we best add noughts to that but We'll stay base 100's.at that point more and more if I want to continue my journey the sheer body of work will push me towards finding something new something different...................... imagwise
so whilst I understand how pin sharp and detail might effect another and make 'em want to shade a lens for me those images are just an extension of my learning curve.

I sort of walk the slow road Terry Mike bless him has been chipping away at me for years....My base hope is during all this I'll build a skillset and then be able to transfer those skills to other species, but I'm not very bright so these things take time.......... by skillset it isn't just the images tis learning how to get to a hare with utterly no cover how to read it draw a deer to me with shutter noise.....all manner of little things I have a much better understanding of now and hopefully will transfer to other species when the time comes

Does that sort of get across why lens fare isn't something I'd avoid ................more something to cherish?

stu
To be useful, lens flair is something to be controlled and used. It can equally totally destroy an image or enhance it.
Each lens has its own characteristics and behaviours. Trial and error only helps if you remember what you did and can repeat it. Some lenses can prove far more useful than others in this regard.
I prefer to see the back rim light coming through early rising early morning, or evening mist, as the temperature reaches its dew point, or is warmed by the rising sun. with out much or any actual flare.

When I was a boy I used to go out to the fields, early morning and evening lookering the sheep and cattle, I often took a gun with me to pot a rabbit or two for the dogs meals.

Lens flair is to be encouraged - it's lens flare that's a pain! (As can be homophones...)

Stu, I am sure I'm not the only member here in some awe of your dedication to observing and photographing your beloved hares (and deer!) - thanks for sharing the images, even those less than perfect ones.

I shoot quite a few sunsets - by their nature, direct into the setting sun and avoid as much flare as possible by keeping the front element spotlessly clean. When shooting direct into the light, a hood is useless other than for protection.

To be useful, lens flair is something to be controlled and used. It can equally totally destroy an image or enhance it.
Each lens has its own characteristics and behaviours. Trial and error only helps if you remember what you did and can repeat it. Some lenses can prove far more useful than others in this regard.
I prefer to see the back rim light coming through early rising early morning, or evening mist, as the temperature reaches its dew point, or is warmed by the rising sun. with out much or any actual flare.

When I was a boy I used to go out to the fields, early morning and evening lookering the sheep and cattle, I often took a gun with me to pot a rabbit or two for the dogs meals.
Terry .mate thanks for coming back again more wisdom bestowed more for me to muse upon........My gig is having fun and learning, so critique never harms me i'm grateful maybe unliike others to hear another's point of view and yeah as mad a March hare to boot , Soz slow in reply light weight growing food duties have been all consuming of late bar finally being allowed to pick up camera again after surgery for a brief low key hare incident :) .

thank you

stu

Lens flair is to be encouraged - it's lens flare that's a pain! (As can be homophones...)

Stu, I am sure I'm not the only member here in some awe of your dedication to observing and photographing your beloved hares (and deer!) - thanks for sharing the images, even those less than perfect ones.

I shoot quite a few sunsets - by their nature, direct into the setting sun and avoid as much flare as possible by keeping the front element spotlessly clean. When shooting direct into the light, a hood is useless other than for protection.
Hey mate ya good?........I don't know what homophones are bro? Best educate me.

Nod don't fink anyone should be in awe of me, don't fink I'm anymore deadicated than you and a sunset buddy, fink iit's about learning and mainly JOY .after that well I wrote loadsa stuff but can't find the words to say what I want, so I've cut it all.
I'll probably come back on that one:)

Cheers for the kind stuff, it's preddy humbling heariing words like awe when one is just trying to learn a craft.a craft which at times makes me feel so inept it's unreal but largely is a building block to experiences that make me 'eart sing

take care

PS flair and flare took a while to fathom:headbang::headbang::LOL:

Back